Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THUNDER CHICKEN.

I just felt like shouting today.
    Ever since loosing the pinpointer to stupidity I have been working the shallows.
    It is easier to find the target in the sifter when you can swing the coil over the basket to let you know where you should be looking.
    Because of this the finds have been fewer than normal.
    The bottles are always there in the water but I don't always show them any more.
    The reason they were included this time is just to show the neat old hip flask. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	220790
    For those of you who like to peruse my piles looking for things I will let you stew over this for a while.
    This is probably bovine and not buffalo but does any one know if it is cow or oxen? Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	220791 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	220792
    Another question for you experts is the little brass button in the picture.
    It is not much of a button but I can find no information on F & B London. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	220793
    Any how working in the shallows (knee depth or less) does not mean that nothing good was found.
    This is a shot of the best from Tuesday before cleaning.
    And you guessed it, this is the reason for the title. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	220794
    And after.
    The broach is silver but the bosuns whistle is the real prize for me. Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	220795
    Wednesday's goodies were these.
    The brass cufflink was a bear to find in the sifter and I almost dumped it out thinking there was nothing there. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	220796
    The silver coin was obviously not Canadian right from the get go. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	220797
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	220799 Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	220800 Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	220801
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

nice coins and the whistle is a killer.

Comment

Hey Bruce, Lot of nice finds. That whistle is great.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Quote: "does any one know if it is cow or oxen?"

Oxen are simply cows that have been trained for farm use or haulage... so there is no separate species in the biological sense or even a universally agreed subspecies of cattle, but sturdier breeds were/are usually selected.

As for the button, I don't have any listing for a button company trading as "F&B" or any company names with those initials. It could be a small manufacturer, or it could be a tailor/garment manufacturer (of which there were thousands) who paid a small amount extra for their own initials to be put onto buttons supplied to them.

Nice find on the bosun's whistle.

I sure hope that pinpointer turns up somewhere.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the reply Roger. I was hopeful that you might be able to nail down the button manufacturer but you are likely right that it was a small company paying for buttons with their name imprinted on they.
            The funny thing about this one is a friend of mine found an identical button two weeks ago all the way over on the east coast in New Brunswick.
            The pinpointer may show up eventually but I am not holding my breath.
        Working...
        X