Metal arrowheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal arrowheads

A few years ago I started doing some research on some areas knowen to have historic Indian camp sites. I looked on google maps and put it to the test. Here are a few items that I found.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Sweet finds Chase!  I love looking through your dad's metal collection too, one of the top metal collections that I have ever seen.  At least as a finder's collection, and not bought pieces.  I have only found one metal point on the surface, but I've been dying to get out with Jim and go detecting sometime.

Comment

Chase
      That is a very nice collection of Metal points. One of the better collections of personal finds that I have seen.
      Dwain Rogers has a very large collection of metal points that he has collected over the last 40 years but he bought most of those.
      Jack

Comment

Tyson, I have my sight on a new site that I googled. If I get out your way and you have the time it would be worth running a one armed bandit over it. Also should be a great place to find some stone artifacts as well.
        Thanks Jack, I have another case of Metal points as well. but it is sitting in a vault that is not anywhere near me. I enjoy the historic camps, not as much compition on them being hunted. Metal points are a real small portion of what is found in these camp sites.

Comment

Wow!  That is unusual.  The effects of the framing really sets off the points.  Nice historic finds!
          Pam

Comment

chase wrote:

A few years ago I started doing some research on some areas knowen to have historic Indian camp sites. I looked on google maps and put it to the test. Here are a few items that I found.
              Nice group of metal points Chase.
            What part of the U.S. were they found in.
            11KBP

Comment

VERY COOL!

Comment

ive been interrested in the idea metal detecting. what is a really good brand or type to buy

Comment

Dave, go check out the metal detection section of the forum, there has been some good discussions there about what high quality metal detectors you would want.
                  Andrew

Comment

GAdave wrote:

ive been interrested in the idea metal detecting. what is a really good brand or type to buy
                      I am no expert on detectors. But what I am using is a Brand "Whites" model "MXT". I like this model for relic hunting because it is simple to use. This detector has three different modes, Gold, Relic and Jewelry / Coin. It will tell how far down it is and what kind of metal and what it might be such as a ring or quarter. it has a pin pointer to tell me where to dig also. It has a good depth on finding items buried deep. There are models of Whites that have more functions but they take a lot more time learning how to use them.
                    There are a lot of good brands out there like Fishers for one. Most good metal detectors cost dollars like the MXT is around $800.00. but if you are going to metal detect, it is worth the money. My ex-wife bought me a Bounty Hunter metal detector the ones you find at Walmart for around a $100.00 and I used it once with a buddy on a site. He was picking up metal left and right, me not so much. He would pick up on metal and I could go over what he picked up and not get any signal at all. I was so frustrated at the end of the day it was not even funny.
                    When looking at brands and models, look for one that will fit what your going to use it for. I use the MXT because of its versatility. I do not own stock in the company, but have been happy with the performance. I take it out with me every time I am artifact hunting. I may not find any metal, but it slows me down and I find more stone artifacts. Most Indian camps were used for thousands of years and that includes the historic camps.
                    I hope this helps Good Luck with the hunt!
                    Chase

Comment

[QUOTE]11KBP wrote:

Originally posted by chase post=22982
                      11KBP
                        These were found in Colorado!

Comment

GAdave wrote:

GAdave, I was a White's metal detector dealer before I retired. I sold Whites because that was the brand I preferred, especially for relic hunting.
                        Having a quality detector is only half of the battle. There is definitely a learning curve in both learning to use your new machine correctly and learning how to research, hunt and find the earliest metallic relics available in your region.
                        11KBP

Comment

[QUOTE]chase wrote:

[quote=11KBP post=27692]
                          Originally posted by chase post=22982
                          11KBP
                            These were found in Colorado!
                            Chase I have a feeling we might have met? Is your mom and dad's initials J -and- W
                          11KBP

Comment

yes,that is correct. where did we meet

Comment

I have a White's Prizm 3. Any suggestions on settings etc?

Comment

Working...
                              X