Getting the lead out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the lead out.

On Monday I gave Dave a call, but he was unable to make it out.
    I went by myself and that is when 95% of the lead was found. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	242031 The only things otherwise worth any mention at all are these. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	242032 Undeterred I returned to the same place on Tuesday and had just finished pulling this when Marty called. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	242033 When he showed up bearing about 100 foreign coins and tokens for my fun hunt he took one look at this side of it. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	242034 And then the two of us started swing the coils in unison.
    My next find was not as old.[ Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	242035 But as always, silver is silver so it is one more in the books. Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	242036 The area where I was searching ran out of dry land, it has rained a lot recently and I was standing in a swamp.
    So I moved over closer to Marty since he was standing high and dry.
    That is when I found this ring. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	242037Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	242038
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Do these symbols make sense to any of you? Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	242040 The final keeper of the day was this. Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	242041Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	242042
    Wednesday a change in pace was in order.
    And a return trip to the area close to where the seated dime might have been lost brought most of the spendables. Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	242043 And 75% of the trash. Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	242044 Since I was close by I decided to give that area another sweep.
    I got a very soft sweet high tone.
    And on the return swing it was still there.
    As per normal I do a 90 degree sweep to confirm and side to side again the soft sweet tone persists.
    At this point I hit the pinpoint button to confirm the depth and when I released the button the signal turned to an iron grunt in all four directions.
    Often enough that is it and I walk on to thew next signal.
    But this signal was just to good to walk away from so out it came.
    To say that I was shocked to see this is an understatement.
    Because normally those type of signals are square nails. Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	242045Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	242046 Fill the plug, double check by swinging over it again, then move on to the next as per normal.
    Only this time the next target was less than one foot away.
    End to end of the digger is the center of both holes. Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	640.4 KB
ID:	242047
    Bruce

Comment

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a list of silversmith hallmarks at the following link http://www.925-1000.com/index.html

• Looks2Much
      Looks2Much commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, I'd buy all the lead you have... I use it for fishing lures and it's not always easy to get. Great writeup as usual

Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	242049Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	242050 The very first thing that I do is contact Ward.
    Why?
    Because finding just one of these puppies is his dream find.
    For some reason he has his phone set to reject texted pictures from me :duh: :duh: :duh:
    So it took hours to get in touch with him.
    When he finally got back to me he was practically shouting in both the PMs and texts.
    MY god Bruce don't you dare tumble those beauties.
    Too late Ward I told him. Click image for larger version

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	242051Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	242052 Not long after those sweeties this very nice 1905 Victoria City dog tag showed up. Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	242053Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	242054 The day was finished when this sailboat showed up. Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	242055Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	242056
    Bruce

Comment

Thursday was just Meh.
      Nothing very much in the way of anything really except for another silver sailboat dime. Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	242058Click image for larger version

Name:	27.jpg
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	242059
      Bruce

Comment

Lot of silver those outings.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the reply Johnny.
          October to about April is when I find most of my silver coins for the year.
          The ground is damp and the signal travels deeper into the ground because of the conditions.

Bruce - those 1883 pieces were in awesome shape for being underground for who knows how long. Can Ward appraise them for you? In that condition they might be worth something.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion68 View Post
          Bruce - those 1883 pieces were in awesome shape for being underground for who knows how long. Can Ward appraise them for you? In that condition they might be worth something.
          Chuck, unfortunately Ward does not grade coins. That being said there are two different online sources that I occasionally look at.
          This is for American coins. http://www.usacoinbook.com/
          And this one is for Canadian coins. http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php
          I wish the American site was as extensive as the Canadian site but at least it does have some information.
          The 1883 quarters are not the most valuable ones but they do have some value. http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-...ents-1870-1901
          If a person clicks on the "grading" link this is what it will show. http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-...Victoria&id=15
          According to this the coin on the left should grade at the EF-40 level and the one on the right should be at the VF-20 level.
          The thing is that when graded all of my coin finds would show environmental damage and cleaned.
          Which will knock down the value somewhat.
          Bruce

Comment

Bruce - ya just might want to hold off cleaning any that you find, other than with water, until you're able to check them out. Even wiping them with a rag can devalue them. I'd really hate to see you get a potentially very valuable coin only to have the value drop to nothing because you cleaned it. Just a thought.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear you Chuck. I definitely have over cleaned some very valuable coins in the past and will most likely do it again.
              Since I am not in this for the money it is not a big concern for me.
              The finds that I make may never be sold by me. What my children do with them is up to each of them.

You ever watch "the curse of Oak Island" on TV? I always think about you when I'm watching that show. They have used a metal detector expert on several occasions.
            If not...check it out!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              I have watched it. The first guy (Steve) that they used is a friend of mine from Toronto.

I like that pair of '83's.

Comment

Working...
            X