Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

It's amazing that the wood survived so much better than the metal.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Curious about the size of it. Is it too big to be Remington Pocket Revolver? 1863 model had no trigger guard and 3 & 1/2 inch barrel.
        California

Comment

I believe it is an 1858 series.
          SE IA

Comment

Tomf, I do believe that you are the winner sir! I looked up the pocket revolver and that is definitely it. The trigger is the clencher... The whole gun was around 8 inches long, see attached pic.

Now, I really, really need quick help in figuring out how to stop this thing from rusting away... I don't have an electrolysis setup and even if I did I don't know how to properly protect the wood and brass in the grip. The wood is in incredible condition and I want to keep it that way!

Ive Google, called museums, dealers, etc and I can't get someone who can tell me what to put on it to preserve it as is until I can get it to someone who can restore it further.

S. O. S.!

Comment

Looking at that cleaned trigger area I now believe it is the pocket revolver. Good find.
            SE IA

Comment

There won't be any restoration on this piece only cleaning up the caccoon of dirt and removing rust and preserving what is left.. I f not going to try a few days in vinage or electrolsis just keep it dry as you can. All you need for electrollsis is a battery charger and some soda water with a piece of old iron or steel, won't harm the wood grips even so the only way to get the grips off is get the cross screw out which probably won't be doable in this condition. By the way you do have a hex barrel, it shows up in the one photo of the end of the barrel, it's just covered with build up making it look round.
              SE IA

Comment

Going to try the electrolysis setup and report back.

Incidentally, any idea as to what range of value this thing might have, if any? Won't hold you to it, lol.

Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

Good move, will like to see the finished piece. Make sure you have good contact on the negitive lead to the gun metal, that build up won't conduct current well. The more of the crud you can get off before electrolsis the better. You might try a vinagar soak for a few days first to see if some of the crud will let loose.
                  As for values we don't talk about them here.
                  Example. Many years ago I found a mass under the floor in an old barn we tore down for the 100 yr old siding and brought it back as well as I could and it wound up being an 1860s Colt. I sent the model and SN to colt and they provded me with when it was made and where it was sold. I was offered enought for it and the paperwork to buy a bottle of good wine. I gave it to my son a few years ago framed with paper work as he really liked it. So don't get your hopes up and enjoy your find. Good luck on your attempt to preserve a little rusty history.
                  Last edited by oldrocks2; 11-28-2021, 07:22 PM.
                  SE IA

Comment

That's a great story, do you have a pic of the colt? I would love to see it.

As to value, I have never sold anything I've found and I never will. Value to me in this instance is a good indicator as to how rare a find this might be, and the level of care I will expend on cleaning it and maintaining it, and how secure I will keep it.

Thanks for your example, I get the idea.

I'm excited to see what electrolysis will do here. I've got a bunch of different sized cannister shot that needs a bath in it as well, in addition to years worth of metal detecting finds.

Comment

Hi all,

Well after nearly 4 months of careful electrolysis, chipping, grinding, polishing and reassembly, the old girl is looking pretty good for her age. Unfortunately the barrel, chamber and hammer were just too far gone to do much with, but the grip trigger and body of the Pistol were in really remarkable shape. I treated the wood with boiled linseed oil, brass polish for the brass grip fittings, and rustoleum clear sealant for the metal.

PS - check out the "X" notched into the grip... Maybe a way to claim ownership if lost or stolen I'm guessing...

​​​​​​​Thanks all for the input and help!

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
                        Narrow Way Knapper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very interesting, I've heard that folks who couldn't read or write, would often make their x mark as a substitute signature. I have a draw knife from the 1800s that has an x mark as well.
                    Working...
                    X