No announcement yet.

Banded & Mahogany Obsidian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work, Ron. I really admire the skill all you guys have, and the lithics are wild and beautiful. Only thing I can personally relate to is the photography and angling pieces in the light to show flaking. That I have some practice in , and you do a great job there as well.
    Rhode Island

Comment

i knew you could do it
      nice work
      you learn fast grass hopper  :rolf:
      now if you really want to make a point smooth
      take and set up small platforms on top of the deltas(the ridge left from taking a flake) and then remove another flake so that the delta runs down the middle of the flake.
      doing this wont leave much of a delta on either side of the new flake and makes a point feel real slick and smooth

Comment

A few more of those practice pieces and your work will be as gorgeous as that material.

Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Great work Ron on some beautiful material!  Your making some big nice stuff! Thanks for the show!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

:laugh: I will take more pictures in tomorrows sunlight.  :laugh:

Edit: As I reduced the spall it was a struggle to keep the S in the point.

Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Here are a few more points. I did some knapping today.

Last edited by Ron Kelley; 08-21-2015, 09:17 AM.
              Michigan Yooper

Comment

do you hunt with a bow at all Mr.Kelley? i can see a primitive small game hunt in yer future this fall, you could use all the primitive stuff you've made and clean yer quarry with the stone tools too.
                call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Hey Jay, I have used six different bows over the last fifty years. Most of my bow hunting has been for whitetail deer. Over the years I have been able to harvest more deer in michigan by taking advantage of all the different seasons: (Bow, Muzzleloader, and rifle.) In recent years I had to switch to a crossbow because of the arthritis in my shoulders. When I couldn't keep every arrow in the three inch bullseye at fifteen yards I made the switch to the crossbow. I have been very successful in recovering my whitetail deer; usually within a hundred yards. The last buck I shot with a compound bow took two of us several hours to recover. It was a bad shot and that bothered me. Well I kinda got off subject there. This latest point is far too big for a bow but still deadly.

Edit: Here's another picture to show the flaking. This 4 1/4 inch point is extremely sharp.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

maybe small game will be a way to continue bow hunting? you wouldnt need a 50# bow for S.G., probably just a 30#, i know alot of states have a minimum poundage to hunt deer with but it doesnt say how much for smaller animals.maybe a self made 30-35# longbow made with stone tools and self made arrows with stone tips?.....     that turkey tail is killer btw, looks like a great knife blade!

Comment

That's an interesting idea Jay. I will have to give it some serious thought. BTW Yesterday I did some scouting to locate milkweed that I will harvest in the fall. I found plenty of plants but I want to wait until the seeds are mature befor I gather the stems.
                      Michigan Yooper

Comment

Wow! that 2nd. pic really shows it off nice! you've done it bud! you can totally call yerself a knapper now!

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote: Wow! that 2nd. pic really shows it off nice! you've done it bud! you can totally call yerself a knapper now!
                            Well thanks Jay, I have made a little progress but there is still lots of room for improvement: Believe me I have not been totally satisfied with any of my flintknapping at this point.
                          Michigan Yooper

Comment

Ron,as a knapper you never will be totally satisfied with what you make
                            its all part of the game
                              nice point by the way  B)

Comment

This morning I made a 4 1/4 inch blade from banded obsidian. This is a hefty one  :laugh: . Half an inch thick. I haven't figured out how to get the larger pieces as thin as I would like. Every time I push it I break them. Any tips?

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote: This latest point is only 1.75 inches long but I was able to cover the entire point with flakes from my ishi stick. I see this as a victory and am happy with this little point.

Edit: I purposely used the lighting to show the flaking. You really have to tilt and look intently to see all of this flaking. The point is actually quite smooth.
                                Nice job Ron
                                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                                X