another knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another knife

put together another knife today. i made the blade last weekend at the Cryogenic Knap In at the Hairy Mosquito in Milaca Mn. the blade is keokuk and the handle is white tail antler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3466.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	242219

Hey Tim, That's a beautiful knife and I really like the background.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

thanks Ron
      thats sitting in my out door knapping pit debitage pile.

im not a big fan of keokuk as it tends to step a lot regardless of how well your platforms are
      but its what i had on hand and didnt really care if it turned out or not as i was in a bad slump with my knapping before the knap in
      so i am just happy it turned out at all lol

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        I had the same experience with keokuk Tim. I was never able to get a nice flake pattern like I get with Hornstone, Georgetown,Tiger Chert, and cooked Edwards. I did get a nice flake pattern on a slab that I purchased. I believe that rock dealer must have cooked that slab just perfect.
        Last edited by Ron Kelley; 02-26-2017, 06:20 PM.

Love your knives, have you ever tried to gut or skin a deer with one? I would love to make one when I get good enough at knapping and try it on a deer, I can only imagine the looks and comments I might get from the other hunters in my gang.

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
        sneakygroundbuzzard commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you for the compliment. no i have never used them for skining any critter.but i do plan on it
        although i think i flake would work best. i know an old NA guy in montana that is(or was) an elk guide
        he kept two stone knives with him on hunts.he used one for skinning and the other for quartering the elk.he said they work better than steel knives
    Working...
    X