Tiger and KRF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger and KRF

Today I knapped two blades from natural tabs. One is Knife River Flint and the other is Tiger Chert:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 355b.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	242316Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 355c.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	242317Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 355a.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	242320Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 356b.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	242319Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 356a.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	242318
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Nice ones
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

AS usual Ron - excellent work. Does that color vein, lower right in the first pic, run all the way through that blade and doe it pose a possible fracture problem when you're working it??
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Chuck, Yes the vein runs clear through. The stone is well fused and that vein knapped like is was just part of the KRF.

Hey Ron, really like that second one. I have a couple pieces that could use a little of Your chipping. Would You Knap Glass or maybe even something (preform) ancient?
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Josh, The second one is tiger chert. I like the ancient look of that lithic. Yes I have kapped both glass and ancient spalls and preforms.

Good work Ron! You do excellent work with cobbles and Tabs. That Adena'ish point is spot on.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Superb work Ron. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Ron, I am sure you may be right on the identification of lithic, But That sure does not look like Tiger Chert. Without it in hand it looks to be grainy and Tiger is smooth. The bands can normally be that thick on the black bands with the cream color bands being predominant in most chert that seems to be quarried by NA's
          BTW great work,. I have not posted to many of your knapping threads But look at them and you do great work.

Name:	DSCN1676.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	242489
          Last edited by chase; 02-28-2017, 03:44 PM.
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Chase, It is definitely Tiger Chert. I purchased all my tiger chert from one person and I can tell that it is the same rock. If you look at the raw material you will get a better Idea of what it looks like.

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Chase, I agree that Tiger Chert is not grainy: Not sure why you got that impression from the picture.

Here are a few pictures of the rock before knapping: Removing the patina drastically changes the looks of the rock. Click image for larger version  Name:	Tiger Chert 13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	836.5 KB ID:	242553
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25462.jpg Views:	1 Size:	791.7 KB ID:	242549
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25467.jpg Views:	1 Size:	583.1 KB ID:	242554
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25468.jpg Views:	1 Size:	486.0 KB ID:	242555
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25469.jpg Views:	1 Size:	533.6 KB ID:	242556
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25463.jpg Views:	1 Size:	266.6 KB ID:	242550
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25464.jpg Views:	1 Size:	423.2 KB ID:	242551

Name:	Tiger Chert 5.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	242558
          Last edited by Ron Kelley; 02-28-2017, 11:11 PM.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            In this last picture take a look at the small fresh chip on the lower right edge.

That's cool,

Comment

Yup it is def Tiger. Thanks Ron for the pic's those are great!!!!!!! they should go into our Info section. as well as all the lithic's you are knapping these days and do a before and after finished points.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hey Ron, where did you get the KRF? I have some small chunks found in the field I hunt. How big of piece do you need for a small point?
            South Dakota

Comment

Ron, you sure have gotten awful good at what you do!
            Rhode Island

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Charlie, I have knapped a lot of different lithics but still don't know how to knap the tough materials that you find on the east coast. The ancient people are to be admired for their stone tools.
          Working...
          X