3" Horse Creek Chert Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3" Horse Creek Chert Point

This point is solid red because the stone is from the middle of the cobble. The yellow, green, and blue are always near the cortex.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 554a.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	284633 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 554a.jpg
Views:	239
ID:	284634
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

That looks similar to the Jasper we have in Georgia .
    Or am I wrong and it’s Horse creek Chert .
    I want to learn these lithics in my area so bad .
    I bought a mineral book but not 100 helping .

Comment

Like this , hope this is not a high jack but a learning post .
      S West Georgia has a lot of this .

Comment

Hey Tam, That sure is a nice point and a beautiful lithic. Your beautiful jasper is very different from the Horse Creek chert. Your jasper is shiny whereas the Horse Creek chert is dull. They don't knap the same. The Horse Creek chert has a variety of colors close to the outside of the cobble. Here is a point I knapped which shows all the colors in the stone. Only the middle of the cobble is solid red.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 388a.jpg
Views:	303
ID:	284661 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 388a.jpg
Views:	239
ID:	284662
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That’s a work of art . I see that in a frame in a hotel .
          my gosh .
          well thank you for clearing that up for me . I did feel it was Jasper . All the old guys call everything flint .
          oh boy have to buy books to learn they are no help . With all the iron ( red dirt ) in Georgia you would think .
          But nooo I respect my elders and that’s hard I am the old one lol .

Comment

Like I said before you would have plenty of food dropped off at you door for all those beautiful point/ blades
            good trade

Comment

Really awesome work there Ron, as usual. I've seen you work Horse Creek chert before but I always thought it was multi colored. I wasn't aware that the core was all one color. Is it always red or could it be one of the other colors associated with HC chert. Just curious but isn't this chert of a coarser grain than Jasper??
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Chuck, I have many Horse Creek Cobbles. On my examples all the middle material is red. Yes you're right this rock has a coarser grain than Jasper.

Nice work on that one Ron, but that's about as mundane a piece of HCC as I've seen lol. Would be really easy to confuse with some other cherts from the same area and especially so with a little patina. Also could pass as some Cafter Cave I've seen. But good work none the less, and like they say on 'Forged in Fire' ... "It will kill!"
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Josh, I got some nice striped pieces from the outer layers of this rock. When I got to this center material I just put it aside for several months.

Ron that is an absolute killer!! I found a large chunk of Attleboro red rhyolite today.. I mean large. I could break it up and send you some if you wanted to try it out? I assume it would be a difficult lithic to Knapp but, your work suggests you’re up for the challenge
              Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ben, I'll send you a PM.

Wow that’s awesome work !!!!
              As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
              NW Arkansas

Comment

Working...