Rare Rhode Island Lithic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Rhode Island Lithic

My good friend Jay has found very little of this lithic material. So he gave it to me: What a guy. Jay gave me a good sized stone that I knapped three points from. The black tip is a little 2.0 gram arrow point. I don't usually knapp small points but I wanted to get everything I could out of this rare stone. It looks and knapps a lot like Knife River Flint but Jay is not sure what it is for sure. Jay knapped a nice little teardrop end-scraper and he gave me that too. Thanks Buddy, This stone is beautiful and knapps real easy.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	298141
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	298140 Click image for larger version  Name:	2b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	298142
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	298143 Click image for larger version  Name:	5a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	298144 Click image for larger version  Name:	6a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	298145 Click image for larger version  Name:	6b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.8 KB ID:	298146
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 05-02-2018, 01:20 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Nice job on that special Rock, you did good to get what you've gotten! Jay that is a cool rock you sent Ron!

Charlie shared a piece he was interested in knowing what the material a while back... I think the piece he shared is this same material although were still not sure what to call it lol. Maybe just Rhode Island Chalcedony lol.

Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Yes, those are beautiful, and Ron sets a high standard when knapping. Josh is right, we talked about the unusual, for RI, materials in Jay's thread about the point his mom has that was found on the RI/Ct border by his great grandfather. Jay and Doc find that material in a stream bed they walk, but I'm sure it is found in northern RI, in both Lincoln, where the Limerock quarry is still operated, and where prehistoric jasper workings were found in the late 90's, and also found in the Diamond Hill area of Cumberland, RI, not far from Limerock. I think what Jay and Doc find are glacial pieces transported from those locations, or, and this is certainly possible, stuff that has ended up in that stream from nearby prehistoric camps.

And Josh, you're right, we are unsure. But it has to be either chalcedony or agate, both of which are found in northern RI. The stuff I have was found in a stream bed near my home, and does seem related or very similar to the stuff Jay and Doc find, only a few miles west, as the crow flies, from the piece I found as a kid. In Jay's thread, I showed a few small artifacts I have found that seem to be made of a similar lithic as well.
      Rhode Island

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting that it comes from the limestone. You can see the white on the stone Jay sent. Other similar lithics also come from the limestone. Like Georgetown, Rootbeer, Edwards, KRF

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, thanks for pointing that out Ron. Assuming that white is limestone would likely confirm the source was in northern RI, and perhaps the Limerock region.

I’m blown away! I can’t believe you got that much out of that stone!!! And wow! Those are incredible points! Wicked awesome my friend! Great job!
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Wow...that teardrop is awesome...they all are really awesome...nice job Jay, and Nice work Ron!
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I’m gonna have to find you more of this stuff, after seeing what you made with this last chunk!

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Jay, Man I love that stuff. I bet you ten bucks to a donut that the ancient people preferred that material over other eastern lithics.

Ha! You would think so, and I agree! But we don’t find anything made outta it! I bet they just used every last little piece then we’re like “ ugh! Back to quartz and argillite!” Lo

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly
        Working...
        X