Tennessee Lithics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennessee Lithics

Chuck sent me ten lithic pieces. Today I picked two that looked like they would be tough Materials. I think they are Rhyolite and quartz. I can see why the ancient knapper would discard these in favor of knapping that beautiful Tennessee Skunk Chert that flakes easily. They measure 3.5 inches long. Thanks again Chuck.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	6a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	128.8 KB ID:	327941 Click image for larger version  Name:	6b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	327940
    Click image for larger version  Name:	6c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.2 KB ID:	327942
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	327945
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	327944
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	327943
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Excellent work! I'll bet that was some tough knapping!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ethan, The four Rhyolite pieces and one quartz were a challenge.

That man has some serious skills
    Kevin - North/Central Texas

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kevin, I continue to learn each time i knap a point.

Ron - I'm truly amazed at what you've done with that material. I would simply have put it in my wife's flower garden along with all the other stuff I've put in there. That milky quartz is some beautiful stuff but I know it's gotta be hard to knap. Like CTex says - you've got some serious skills.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck, That quartz had some extra tough material mid way down the point.

Nice work on some tuff stuff Ron
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Red, They are tough materials but the Native Americans on the east coast sure knew how to work with these tough materials.

Yes they did as it's one of our more common lithics here. But that one Iooks a bit more sugary than our more common milky quartz
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Red, The stone near the tip and base is good quartz. The material half way between the tip and base is sugary and was hard to knap.

Oh yeah I see what you mean upon closer observation ...came out nice though
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Today I didn't have much time to knap so I chose a piece that flakes easy. This spall was 7/16 inch thick so i pushed long flakes right from the get-go (More than 3/4 of the way across from both sides.) By pushing long flakes I can thin the stone down. Well it's not thick now. I got it down to 3/16 inch thick. The two and a half inch point weighs less than half an ounce (12 grams.)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	328139 Click image for larger version

Name:	1b.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	328136

Name:	1c.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	328138 Click image for larger version

Name:	1d.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	328137
      Michigan Yooper

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        I missed this post Ron that came out awesome. .I can't believe how thin you got that...Nice work

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Red, That one would fit between the ribs.

Here are Three more points I knapped from Chuck's Tennessee lithics:

See that brown rock in the upper left of the photo? That is some poor rock that was difficult to knap away. This is probably why the biface was abandoned but I did manage to get a nice point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.1 KB ID:	328456 Click image for larger version  Name:	9b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.5 KB ID:	328457
      Click image for larger version  Name:	9c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	83.0 KB ID:	328458
      I don't know what this blue-gray speckled rock is but it flaked fairly well:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	3a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.4 KB ID:	328459 Click image for larger version  Name:	3b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	328461
      Click image for larger version  Name:	3c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.8 KB ID:	328460
      Michigan Yooper

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        You definitely did manage to get two nice points...very nice Ron.

This Slab was sawed and had a few small flakes removed. I intended to leave the light tan material on the base but it was not good chert. I had to crunch the light color off. I got two small points from this stone.

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	328463 Click image for larger version

Name:	2b.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	328464

Name:	2c.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	328465 Click image for larger version

Name:	2d.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	328466
      Michigan Yooper

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ron - is it the quality of material that causes those hinge fractures? I don't notice it so much on the other lithic material.

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Chuck, I think the hinges are the result of the flintknapper not taking the required time to avoid them. My bad really.

This gray rock has sparkles in it and it's some real tough stuff. I think it's a rhyolite. I have knapped seven of the ten stones and have been lucky to get a point from each. I have three more to knap.

Name:	7a.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	328540 Click image for larger version

Name:	7b.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	328537

Name:	7c.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	328538 Click image for larger version

Name:	7d.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	328539
      Michigan Yooper

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
        OnewiththewilD commented
        Editing a comment
        I really like that one that’s cool ! I can just feel it’s stubborness,lol

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful work. I thought you might get a bit of a test on this stuff.

Nice work ...it looks like tuff stuff alright
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice knapping, but are you knapping discarded preforms?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Buster, No buts here. These are discarded bifaces. A lot of the material that I purchase from rock dealers is ancient spalls too. I purchased some hornstone that turned out to be an 85 pound ancient core that had spalls removed from the entire surface. I kept that one.

Nice work Ron
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Matt, I have knapped a lot of points with better flake patterns but I sure did enjoy the challenge of knapping some very tough material.

Nice Stuff Guy's! I'm curious about The Rhyolite Source a bit. How far It traveled and such.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          It traveled all the way from Tennessee to the U.P. :-)
          I know what you mean Josh: I just couldn't help the little joke. Joshin ya.

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Josh - the rhyolite came from a mountain located along the Dale Hollow Lake.

• JoshinMO
          JoshinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, Thanks Guy's
      Working...
      X