Knapped a point for my 1000th post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knapped a point for my 1000th post

I know alot of you have multiple thousand posts and it is just another number but to me it is a bit special for some reason. Wanted to do something to mark my 1000th post so, I knapped a sweet little quartzite point. I find this material all over one of my sites yet I've only ever found one point made out of it. I kinda like knapping it. Click image for larger version

Name:	0206192136b-1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	348643 Click image for larger version

Name:	0206192136-1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	348644 Click image for larger version

Name:	0206192136a-1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	348642
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

I love quartz points, you did a very nice job!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! It isn't really easy to knap. I like them too but they are quite uncommon here in SE MO. This stuff is real sugary.

Nice...I remember you posting your first nice quartzite point. Same stuff? You did a good job...I didn't know you knapped. Congrats on 1000thpost Andrew. ..keep knapping
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Red! Yeah, I knap a little. If I had good material, I'd knap more. Its the same as a little Madison i found.

Hey Andrew, Real nice work on the quartzite and that is some beautiful material. It looks very similar to the Tallahatta Quartzite that Johnny gave me. Very Nice!!!
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Also congrats on the 1000 post milestone.

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Ron! It is a very pretty material but I don't think it was a favorite for points. Seems like they made bigger tools out of it and used the debitage for smaller expedient tools. I say that bc I've found two large tools made from it and all kinds of flakes with some secondary flaking but only one point and it was a little Madison. I haven't identified the material..I wonder if it could be tallahatta quartzite??

Congrats, and It's a Beaut!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Josh!

Really nice point for the 1000 post event, good looking material and good looking work on it.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Johnny! It stepped more than I wanted it to but I think that may be the nature of the material.

Knapping and posting ! You must have great dexterity with your hands Andrew !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, JJ! Lol, I guess I do have pretty good dexterity. My hand eye coordination isn't too bad either.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Then keep pulling the trigger !

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the plan, as long as i can find workable material.

Very nice! I am impressed!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! It was the first point I've knapped in awhile. Kinda surprised myself with how it turned out.

Hey Andrew how you doing. Do you remember that thread a while back. About beat up ..worn out points...I can't find it. Can you?....I hadda ask in here cuz I couldn't PM you for some reason
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Doing ok, Red. I cleaned my inbox not long ago so it shouldn't be full... I think I remember the thread. Is it the heartbreaker thread that I started? If it is you could probably do a keyword search for it.

No not the Heartbreakers I'm on that one all the time . Thus thread was exhausted..ugly points something like that....I'll keep looking..I know it's here. If you think of it let me know. Thx
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I went looking for it too but couldn't find it either. I'll do some looking for it later, about to start a d&d game right now.

You did very well on it!
    South Dakota

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Gary!

Lovely material and point! How long did you work on it? You said you don’t have good material. What would you consider good material?

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Vic! Probably worked on it about 30 minutes. It had some 90° angles along the edges that I had to knock down and then had to work on the symmetry. It started out as a square piece. Good material would be chert with high knapability and few flaws in the material. I probably shouldn't say bad material, it is just less than ideal. Alot of the pieces I work are debitage that was left behind or pieces that have stacks and inclusions in the material.

Oh my, only 30 minutes. I would have thought it might take hours. I am amazed. Were you taught by someone else or self taught?

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      It isn't a real big point and the percussion work quickly took it down to the rough shape. From there it was just trimming, evening out the blade edges and finishing out the base work. I'm self taught.

I apologize for being late to the party here.😔
    I just had to say that you knapped a very sweet point for your milestone post.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Bruce! Hope all is well with you.

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      All is fine here Andrew, I have been killing time while waiting for the ground to thaw by making a pile of new display cases.

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to hear you're doing well. Not much hunting here either, our winter has been very wet, here in Missouri.

Happy 1,000th post! And congrats on the quartz point!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
    X