6.5" Novaculite Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5" Novaculite Blade

I just finished knapping a dozen Obsidian blades and had to adjust my flaking for this Novaculite. I guess I'll have to take small steps to get back to tough rock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 983a.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	384462
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Nice job and love the colors.
    SE IA

Comment

that's a great piece Ron
      Wyoming

Comment

Wow looks like the real deal .

Comment

You did awesome! It's a bit of a learning curve getting back to tougher stone. That flake pattern is beautiful, and for Novaculite, I don't see any hinges which is darn impressive.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That’s a BEAUTY there Ron! There are some waxy translucent forms of novaculite also that are very similar to agatized chert that you could make a masterpiece from with your level of craftsmanship! Look forward to seeing your next work of art!
            SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, There is quite a bit of variation in this lithic. This piece was heat-treated. Most of the pieces I have knapped were white. The gray pieces certainly knapped different than the white.

Ron, maybe it's because you were already a knapper, but it's amazing how good those pieces are looking for not having fogged for very long.

It's pretty amazing how you can maximize material when it's slabbed and fogged vs percussion processing bifaces from a nodule.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Joshua, You are right we can get many times the points from the same amount of material. This one wasn't ground. I knapped it from a flat slab. To me the biggest advantage of FOG knapping is that you only have to make one pressure flaking pass. On this one I had to flake over flake.

Ron, beatup and you are really putting on a knapping show here lately... Thanks for posting.
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks JJ, Knapping is a passion. It is now my favorite hobby.
          Working...
          X