Newbie Flint Knapper~ Mississippi Mad Knapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Flint Knapper~ Mississippi Mad Knapper

Here are a few pieces I have knapped. New to the hobby, but thoroughly enjoy it. Santa Claus (my sweet wife Laura) brought me a beginner knapping kit. Pressure flaking seems like it is not that hard, percussion flaking and thinning out your preform is where I need a lot more practice. The first two pics are broken tips or big flakes that I have found on our hunts. The thicker point is a scraper that i found broke in half. The last pic is some obsidian that i worked from scratch. Made a little knife and a perforator with the obsidian so far. Made a little crude Clovis point that has a thick stack on top that I do not know how thin out yet. Any tips, advice, or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.
    ~Carpe Diem~

Good on you, flint knapping is very satisfying
    Search YouTube videos beginner flint knapping, jack crafty is one I like
    2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• headhunter777
      headhunter777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate it Long Stride. I will definitely check that ol fella out.

you’re gonna love it. It’s so satisfyingly challenging…🤗🦩
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• headhunter777
      headhunter777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I see, it is very challenging and tedious. Think I’m up for it though.

The you tube videos can certainly help. The best learning tool is hours spent breaking rock. Have fun with it.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• headhunter777
      headhunter777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Before I got the few little tools that I do have, I have spent hours just breaking rocks together like you are talking about. Just to see how they would knap. Mattern told me to get the bottom of old glass bottles and practice on those. He also told me you was the fella I needed to talk to if I had any questions.

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey headhunter, I have had many hobbies but Ancient Crafts are my favorite by far.

• headhunter777
      headhunter777 commented
      Editing a comment
      What kind of ancient crafts, if you don’t mind me asking.

Besides Flint-Knapping I enjoy: Making friction fires with our local materials, Making Figure 4 deadfall traps with our limestone slabs, Using the bones from harvested Whitetail Deer to make points and tools, and processing the tendons to get useable sinew. Also I have made Pine Pitch Glue which was used by the ancient Native Americans.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• headhunter777
      headhunter777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very cool hobbies. I have been messing around with the friction fire 🔥 myself.
Working...
X