Diggin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diggin

I used to dig for bottles before this hobby consumed me! I was going through some bins looking for something different to put in my showcase at the antique shop. Found this, dug it 17-18? years ago. Its a shear top ink 1860-1880ish. note the double pen holders on the sides. This was about 3 feet deep.

Mark can you put a date on that piece? Thats a neat find, the oldest one I have is 1880's Hutchinson style stopper bottle. Wish I had more room to display them.

Comment

Its not pontailed so its after 1855 or so, guessing 1870 give or take 5 years. Had some nice bottles but sold off all the good ones. Lucky I sold most of them 12-13 years ago when the prices were high.

Comment

What color is your hutch? And were from, small city bottles better.

Comment

Going to say a light green and its from Chicago  Has G.A Bode Bottlers Extracts on it, still has the stopper in it. Never saw much of a price on it maybe 13 bucks or so, does that sound right.

Comment

In green Id say a little more if no damage, $20 or so. Chicago and Detroit bottles common. If it were a smaller town....more. I just sold a blue cobolt Detroit bottle WITH a chip for $25. Collectors love blue.

Comment

Thanks Mark

Comment

Look for cure, remedy and bitters. Some worth alot.

Comment

Very pretty bottle, Mark.  Unusual style.  My wife and I keep our eyes out and bring home the old ones.  We always thought they turned blue from sunlight, but I guess we're wrong, not much sun 3 feet down.  Prettiest i found was a medicine bottle circa 1875, nice blue color. What do you figure on this one, Mark?  $20,000? :laugh: Jokin of course.  Plug nickle be fine with me.
                  Found this in beach muck on Greenwich Bay, RI in front of an old Victorian era campground.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Id quess bout $10-15, cool corker! Your talking a light purple color after being in the sun, an amethyst color? Truthfully cant remember but its from adding or lack of manganese in making the glass. 1875 the seam should go up half way up the neck. Mark.

Comment

Thanks Mark.  Let me tell you my best "bottle story."  I was hunting artifacts where a stream enters Narragansett Bay.  Near the mouth the stream cut a sheer drop embankment. Not high, maybe 3 feet tall at low tide.  I could sit on the embankment, let my legs hang down toward the water and take in the view.  So I did. About a foot down from the top of the embankment I noticed the base of a large bottle just barely sticking out. I reached down to wiggle it, see if it was just a broken base. Stuck solid in the near rock hard embankment muck. So I tugged very careful. If broke I could cut myself, if not didn't want to break it myself. It was all there, nice half gallon milk bottle, I guessed early 1900's.
                      Still filled with a lot of mud, laid it down beside me.  Heard a "skitterin, clacking" sound seemed to come from the bottle.  Washed it out in the stream and inside was a 4" blue crab, way too big to fit in the neck. "Boy, fella, you been in there awhile, how the heck did you eat stuck in a muck filled bottle shoved neck-into a rock hard embankment??"
                      Took it home to show the wife.  Then we returned to the stream. Holding the neck, and wearing a glove on my hand, whacked the bottom against a rock.  Perfect break, and with claws up and pointing at me, the "enemy", the crab backs into the stream, making a beeline for the open bay.  Free at last, free at last!! Broke a nice bottle but we knew we did the right thing by the poor little critter.
                      Charlie
                      Rhode Island

Comment

I LIKE you Charlie, alot.

Comment

Why, thank you Andy :cheer: My wife and I still talk about that day and it still brings a smile to our faces. 
                          Charlie
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Neat story! A new way of getting rid of crabs! :blink:

Comment

Charlie you are beyond cool. To all: I am amazed at the the multiple items we collect that are the same. Points, pottery, bottles, coins, etc.,etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X