Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some beautiful photographs of very proud people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some beautiful photographs of very proud people.

When the Civil War ended and reformation kicked in, pioneers flocked in thousands to claim the uncharted western plains. Participating in the continuous
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Bruce, thanks for the link. I have always admired Curtis's photographs. He regretted arriving in the West too late to observe the tribes at their pinnacle. In fact many of his field photos were actually staged.
    I just wrote a forward for an artist's book who specializes in 1:12 scale dioramas. His most recent scene recreates Curtis's field tent and equipment as one can imagine it out on the Great Plains.
    Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there any way that you can post that picture here?

I received a reply fro Deb aka Havenhunter. and she sent me two pictures with this description.
    The diorama artist is Robert Off, whose 1:12 scale miniature rooms have inspired a generation of dollhouse miniaturists, of which I am one. His rooms are so realistic that you have to look twice at his photos to spot the difference. He has featured men like Audubon, Twain, and Curtis among his masculine subjects.

Here are some photos of Robert's vision of Curtis's early
    20thc field tent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	phpI35InkPM.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	231901 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpY8QlhePM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	231902
    Bruce

Comment

Thanks for sharing the link. Love seeing those old pics.

Comment

Hey 2nd. Thanks for posting the Curtis link. Check out the site. " first people's ". Or "first people's US". Click on Their link to their compiled Original Photographs of Native People. Largest most Amazing that I have discovered to date. Very well put together Archives. You'll spend several hours for sure if you like Early photography. Native photography is one of my passions. Especially the outdoor Taken at the moment photos that give a more real perspective of time period. The Studio Cabinet photos are great. Curtis was an Amazing character in that he was able to Photograph some remaining natives from all regions of North America. The fact that he was able to Document in image,Some of the few remaining full blood California Indians that survived the Gold Rush Era. Those images are the most rare compare to Plains,Plateau,Southwestern,Great Basin region photos. Next in line would be Early photos of Full Blood North Eastern tribes along the Atlantic coast, as those tribes suffered greatly in population during the pre and post Revolutionary war conquest and were assimilated into the Mix. Well sorry for the Ramble. Keep that Wand busy! You sure know how to use it. Love the stuff you find and share!

Comment

Originally posted by Six nations son View Post
          Hey 2nd. Thanks for posting the Curtis link. Check out the site. " first people's ". Or "first people's US". Click on Their link to their compiled Original Photographs of Native People. Largest most Amazing that I have discovered to date. Very well put together Archives. You'll spend several hours for sure if you like Early photography. Native photography is one of my passions. Especially the outdoor Taken at the moment photos that give a more real perspective of time period. The Studio Cabinet photos are great. Curtis was an Amazing character in that he was able to Photograph some remaining natives from all regions of North America. The fact that he was able to Document in image,Some of the few remaining full blood California Indians that survived the Gold Rush Era. Those images are the most rare compare to Plains,Plateau,Southwestern,Great Basin region photos. Next in line would be Early photos of Full Blood North Eastern tribes along the Atlantic coast, as those tribes suffered greatly in population during the pre and post Revolutionary war conquest and were assimilated into the Mix. Well sorry for the Ramble. Keep that Wand busy! You sure know how to use it. Love the stuff you find and share!
          Thank you for the suggestion Click image for larger version

Name:	th_thankyou.gif
Views:	31
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	232405 For those of you who are just as inept as I am at finding things this is the page he suggested.

There are more great pictures here than you can shake a medicine rattle at. Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	232404
          Bruce

Comment

Working...
          X