Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sure hope he likes it

not sure if any of you folks on here know it or not

but about a year and half a go i started to get to know my dad.
    i hadnt seen or talked to him since i was about 5 years old.

turns out even after all these i am truly my fathers son.
    we have so many of the same interests that its almost spooky.

one of the things we have in common is our love of hunting.
    more so our love of bow hunting.

so i decided that for christmas this year i would make him a self bow.

its made from hickory, 66" tip to tip.1.5" wide at the fades and up until the last 8" of the limbs,at that point the limbs taper to .5" at the nocks.
    it pulls 48# @ 29". has a buffalo horn arrow rest,brain tanned deer hide strike plate.buffalo hair accents at the bottom of the handle and the handle is wrapped with jute twine.8 coats of tung oil as a finish on the bow.

i added the buffalo arrow shelf and handle accents because he used to raise them,and thought that he might like that.

this is really a sweet shooting bow and i sure hope he likes it because i almost hate giving this one up (one of the best i have made to date in my opinion)

here are a few pics of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3373.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	232050

Name:	100_3375.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	232051

Name:	100_3376.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	232052

Name:	100_3379.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	232053

thanks for looking and let me know what ya'll think of it

If he doesn't like it he doesn't deserve a son like you.
    Of course he will love it. It is a beautifully made piece of functional art.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

That is so wonderful. I'm sure he will be overwhelmed. Very nice
      South Dakota

Comment

Very cool. I'm sure he'll love it.

Comment

thanks guys
          even if he doesnt hunt with it,i just hope he enjoys shooting it from the balcony of his house into the straw bails in his back yard

Comment

That's beautiful! As a teenager I had a Fiberglas & hickory now I used for target practice only. At just 5'2" a 30# pull was my limit! Your now brings back fond memories!
            Child of the tides

Comment

Nice piece of work dude. That bow is awesome. Very nice craftsmanship.
              The chase is better than the catch...
              I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Really nice gift for your Dad. Hope he loves it and he gets the opportunity to use it for many hunts to come with you.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I don't know Him but have a hunch He will Love it!
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

thanks everyone,i appreciate your kind words

i like to put a bunch of arrows through every bow before i put finish on it and do the handle wrap

i was shooting at 15 yards in my backyard,shot 92 arrows and i was impressed with this bow.spits arrows rather quickly,no hand shock.
                    out of those 92 arrows i just missed getting a Robin Hood six different times.
                    this bow just seems to be a natural shooter(i never come that close to getting a Robin Hood with any of my other bows,not even the one with training wheels)

this piece of wood just seemed to want to be a bow,and is showing that it deserved to be one with the way it shoots.

once again i thank you for your kind words

Comment

He's gonna love it! I know I would! Sounds like it shoots great....
                      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

As a Father - Anything specially made by the son would have a very special place in his heart. He'll most definitely love it. ...Chuck
                        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Wow that is a sweet gift. I bet he cherishes it.
                          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Great gift Tim. It's always special to get a gift that someone made. With all the time and love you put into this bow it is a very special gift. Your Father will be forever thankful that he got to know a very special son.
                            Michigan Yooper
                            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

thanks everyone i do appreciate the very kind words

Comment

Working...
                              X