The Leather Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Leather Man

A man who became legendary for his late 19th century walkabouts in NY & Conn.
    Dressed from head to toe in thick boot leather he would complete a timely 360 mile circuit every 34 days.

Get all the latest interesting, hilarious, and mind-blowing stories on the Web. This is the stuff everyone's talking about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ity-tramp.html
    Click image for larger version  Name:	LM1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	295.1 KB ID:	235148
    Click image for larger version  Name:	LM3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	268.9 KB ID:	235149
    Click image for larger version  Name:	LM2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.3 KB ID:	235150

[YT]jIIhSPI58x8[/YT]

[YT]iPkDz4T2eVE[/YT]

[YT]4QBznYL8O8A[/YT]

[YT]-pcUmusuCqA[/YT]
    Last edited by Olden; 12-20-2016, 12:37 PM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

[YT]QsLo39sm2cg[/YT]

[YT]q_0M9-_qDaA[/YT]

[YT]ZZUfF5WkCF8[/YT]

[YT]jqlPJcguLD8[/YT]

Comment

[YT]ujyztEKlhQ8[/YT]

[YT]-LJu5o7MhvA[/YT]

[YT]1LgPqukw2Ko[/YT]

[YT]d4oFuR7rogg[/YT]

Comment

That is an interesting character. I was happy to see that the second link you provided explained the tin pipe. Click image for larger version

Name:	th_thankyou.gif
Views:	52
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	235159
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Olden
          Olden commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, was one of those catch-up deals
          The pipe has got to be one of the nastiest smoking bowls I've ever seen - a soldered tin pipe like that would have killed anyone.
          The height on the bowl may have been an indication of him having Indian relatives, or maybe just a good hand warmer - dunno.

Sounds like an interesting guy, I'll have to come back and go through some of the information when I get a chance.

For what it's worth, I love old pictures where they put a piece of nice furniture and some fruit in there to pretty up the portrait a bit.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Olden
          Olden commented
          Editing a comment
          The table with the fruit bowl is a nice touch. Would have been great if they'd invented the camera 200 yrs. sooner..
          Last edited by Olden; 12-20-2016, 08:01 PM.

Very cool.

Some GREAT music listed there too...

I'm assuming you've seen the movie Into The Wild, that some of those Eddie Vedder songs came from... if you haven't, it's one of the best movies I've seen for it's message. There's something amazingly pure about his epiphany and the quote that goes with it, "Happiness is only real when shared" is something that has stuck with me ever since I first saw the movie.

Great post through and through

Comment

Thanks for the great post Olden I really enjoyed it. I also have to say you have great tastes in music. Seen Tony Rice several times. Have also seen and met Tim O' Brien and Darrell Scott. Also like Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam. Just wanted to mention their song Leatherman which was only played live a few times and did not make it on an album. Into the wild is a must see, thanks Looks2Much for the Eddie Vedder connection.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

I knew this story well growing up in CT he is still talked about in some CT Households. My first recollection was my Grandmother telling us about him.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

The title didn't sound very interesting but that's just another example not to judge a book by its cover. Thanks Olden!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            True story Josh and very cool one at that.

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            It is odd how I always assumed because I knew about this story that probably everyone did. There are probably a lot of people living outside of the Geographc area of NY and CT that never heard of this. It just never dawned on me until reading this post.

• Olden
            Olden commented
            Editing a comment
            I just found it myself, and wondered why I'd never heard of him (ya been sand-baggin' on us Matt
            I suspected that either you or Charlie would be familiar with the story..
            Was sorta miffed that they didn't bury him in the clothes that had protected him from the elements for so long - didn't seem right somehow.
            Last edited by Olden; 12-24-2016, 10:56 PM.

Wow! Thanks for posting this. I had never heard of this Legend and real character. The music links are great to. "Ian Tyson" is great songwriter musician if you like great songwriting and old west and such. . There is so many. Guess that's why I was drawn to "Gordon Lightfoot" back in the day. If you like to read more along this line! Check out this book! I'm posting a photo of cover for reference.

Comment

• Olden
            Olden commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Six!
            “Although I am a typical loner in my daily life, my awareness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has prevented me from feelings of isolation.”
            ― The 'High & (Not So) Lonesome: Albert Einstein

Originally posted by JoshinMO View Post
          The title didn't sound very interesting but that's just another example not to judge a book by its cover. Thanks Olden!
          Hey Josh, I agree, but somehow the 'old brown shoe' title seemed to be the best fit
          "Don't judge a book by its cover" Good words to live by I think! Don

Comment

• JoshinMO
            JoshinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            My Mom told me stories about hobo's knocking on their door (probably for food is all) and how her mom would take her and her sisters and be quiet/hide under beds until they left.

The other day i backed out of driveway and it was rainy and cold and i seen a guy walking a puppy and carrying a trash bag with clothes and i drove down my street a bit and started thinking. I thought he might be walking a long way maybe he needs a ride but then i thought of him hurting or killing me for the car like you hear about, i look down in door pocket and see a pair of scissors (ooh scissors) and thought what the heck might as well ask and i stopped. He gets near the back of car and was saying thanks for your generosity, thanks, ETC and i say i was just going to ask you if you need a ride and he said i live just around the corner, thanks though.
            Last edited by JoshinMO; 12-25-2016, 12:11 AM.

• Olden
            Olden commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL! Gotta be careful Josh - mutual destruction could be involved..
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

A man is driving across the state to see his wife when he sees a Native American hitchhiker on the side of the road. Thinking he could do with some company, he pulls over and lets the man in, offering him a ride home.

The Native man is grateful, but our driver notices that he keeps eyeing the large bottle of gin on the floor of the passenger seat. Not wanting the guy to get any ideas, he says "Ah, I got that bottle for my wife."

The Native man says nothing for a few moments, then softly replies

"Good trade."

• JoshinMO
            JoshinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Good Point, Love those 2 clowns

Lofty stuff Olden! I think I'll take a Quantum Leap. Up a Trail in the Salmon River Country of Idaho. They say the winds of Truth blow through those mountains! The Beauty's there. And justification? Well. I want to see and touch a little of what Earl Parrot Took in! No Chalk Board needed up there! See ya on the Mountain Albert!

Comment

• Olden
            Olden commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds good. I'm a big fan of the Nike logo 'Just Do It'. Hate seeing all these young people playing video games 24/7!

With you there my friend! Appreciate you posting good old History and such. We need to instill more Roots/history connection into our youth. It's a Felony some of the garbage/propaganda being taught in the halls of higher education these days.

Comment

Working...
          X