Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here ever started a random picture post?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenoch
    replied
    Papantla Flyers...

Leave a comment:

• Tenoch
    commented on 's reply
    one after metal detecting and one after artifact hunting

• gregszybala
    commented on 's reply
    Yes!

• CMD
    replied
    Sailfin Dragon, Philippine rain forest….

Click image for larger version

Name:	A1B6951D-F6CB-42B8-BB1F-BB718B0A98FA.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	647969

Leave a comment:

• Josie
    commented on 's reply
    100% true! Should I show the flake mound on the countertop beside the washing machine?😂

• gregszybala
    replied

Name:	image.png
Views:	175
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	647938

Leave a comment:

• Cecilia
    commented on 's reply
    I am sorry, for you as well as tree. I bought house from commercial landscaper who built it 1976. Boy o boy, yard was envy whole big old neighborhood! Alas, each of my many beautiful ornamental wax myrtles got fungus in root balls, and tho I kept cutting and cutting and cutting them back, eventually all stumps. My older neighbor saw me in yard crying a lil while trying digging up roots, and she patted my shoulder, saying “nothing stays same, Cecilia, everything changes, even trees….”

• Uncle Trav
    replied

Name:	1E565726-3C40-4832-A084-AFF251FB7181.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	647490Click image for larger version

Name:	2E870F97-93E3-4DF9-BBDC-8C78213FCFA9.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	647489 The last coal fired steamship on the Great Lakes. The SS Badger. Just happened to catch her outbound from Ludington Mi this past weekend. She is a grand old boat.

Leave a comment:

• Narrow Way Knapper
    commented on 's reply
    Trees do not heal like humans do, instead they rely on chemical barriers called tannins and physical barriers to compartmentalize decay and grow around it. Branch collars separate branch wood from trunk wood and help prevent the spread of decay from a dying branch from infecting the trunk wood. Annual rings act as a barrier and resist the spread of decay. Rays that can be seen in the cross section of some trees help contain decay within a pie shape. A trees strongest method of defence is in the cambium layer with it's ability to grow over defects, add mechanical strength and through cell division creat the corky protective layer known as bark. A trees weakest form of defense, typically, is in the xylem tubes that transport water and nutrients vertically like little straws. A tree will try to plug up the xylem tubes, but most species of trees are not very good at that, so decay spreads faster vertically. That is what forms a hollow trunk.

• JoshinMO
    commented on 's reply
    In certain areas I have noticed Trees being hollow and in other Areas not as common. Insects possibly?

• Narrow Way Knapper
    commented on 's reply
    It was a seedling in 1868, so 150 years old. Most of the older oaks are hollow in the trunk and so I can't count the rings to tell the age.

• Uncle Trav
    commented on 's reply

• 2ndoldman
    commented on 's reply
    That looks like something from the island. Check out Nanaimo bathtub races.

• Narrow Way Knapper
    replied
    Guess how old this White Oak was. I was sad to cut it down, but the tree was dying from Oak Wilt.

Name:	IMG_20220712_130255673_HDR.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	646462

Leave a comment:

• Narrow Way Knapper
    commented on 's reply
    That's a pretty cute stowaway you've got there. 😉
Working...
X