Just a thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought

As I was anticipating my up coming trip to Georgia and thinking about looking for artifacts my mind started to wonder . Looking at some of the recent posts and the spectacular examples of artifacts I got to thinking .
    Our generation and a few before us are really the first to start collecting in mass quantities and researching them .
    We just a speck in time and a few in the future will be the generations that found these . We are pretty darn lucky to find
    these artifacts .
    The next will be when they start tearing down old cities and roads hundreds of years from now . The past is covered up as I always say with our roadways and cities .
    Just a thinking .

Tam, What was good for past civilizations is good for present civilizations. Food, water and shelter, the basics of survival, never change. Consequently, we build on top of the homes of past civilizations and connect those locations with highways built on top of ancient highways. So, what you said is pure truth.
    My prediction is that future generations will be not only mining, but also doing archaeological digs in the landfills of today. Dumps are filled with scrap that means nothing to us, yet will be of great value to future societies.
    Winters in Arizona, summers in Michigan's UP. What could be better?

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe this to be true, also.

Well we will be written down in history as the lucky ones that could walk a beach or field .. a peaceful creek and find artifacts from the past just sitting there waiting to be picked up . Can you imagine the collectors that will have discussions about us .
    How we think of the best ones found 50 years ago . 500 years from now it will be near impossible .

Comment

Great Topic Tam, It is kind of Awesome. Some big Name's come to Mind (Perino and Dickson) but there were many,is and will continue to be. Or even Our Family and Friend's, or maybe We could even guide Other's. Oh how Ting's have changed over The last 500 year's, I bet some of those early Explorer's really seen some Stuff. Here is a Video, I hope You don't mind.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• BabaORiley
        BabaORiley commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow...200 point days!!! Man if I get three its a field day...good video Josh.

Boy did I enjoy that Joah thank you so much . Going to see if I can find some more of his interviews . Started to laugh out loud when he said 200 points . I do watch a few of the old timers that worked on farms /cotton fields . I bet you have seen the man in Georgia that started a collection as a kid working cotton fields . It’s just so great to be part of this era . I was thinking nothing really now is collectible just to many modern things in circulation .
      Of subject I have a GE clock my Dad gave me 1971 and it still works . Old electric .

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure if I seen Him, but have seen a few Older Collector's online and off. Heck I'm using a console TV

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh .... sorry

For a long time I have thought..."just how many are out there"...With all that have been collected over the years both documented and undocumented and the finds that you see on a daily basis and the ones that go unseen i.e. the shoebox of artifacts in Grandpas shed that have no known origin. I wonder just how much is still there. Granted the volume of finds mentioned by Mr Dickson are very rare anymore there are still a lot of artifacts pulled from the earth everyday. It makes one ponder "just how many are still there?" Great topic Tam...the sheer volume of the thought has always amazed me...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

one of my friends who is gone now was walking a field he always hunted, after a few hours of looking he sat under the shade of a very big oak tree at the edge of the field. he said he was drinking water and looking over some of the rocks he picked up, pushed back some leaves to get a sharp rock that was poking his backside and there was a nice big benton blade. he started digging around the tree and for it was over he had two five gallon buckets full of artifacts . hes sure the farmers must have been piling them up because of all the different types and popbottles mixed in with them.

Comment

Oh I bet he almost started laughing and crying at the same time . All those hours walking and here was a gold mine .
          One of the best blades a friend found was at a grave site we visit to look at the ages . Late 1700’s to 1800. They would dig a grave and back then give no thought to a NA artifact . Toss it in a heap .

Comment

Working...
          X