I'll never think of fire in the same way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll never think of fire in the same way

I was burning a brush pile earlier this evening, I was using gasoline. Suddenly, all of the oxygen around me transformed to flames. I was surrounded by fire in every direction, from my feet to my face, left to right, 500° or more, engulfed in an instant. I tried to turn away from it but there was no turning away. I don't know how long it lasted, maybe three seconds, it felt like an eternity. Near the end, as the flames were diminishing, I drew a breath and saw the flames begin to enter my mouth, I literally breathed fire in to my body. Luckily, I blew out and closed my mouth very quickly. I turned in the only direction I could and exited the flames. I didn't know if I was still alive and I let out a scream to make sure. I went in my house and immediately got in the tub and immersed myself in cold water. I knew I needed medical attention and wife took me to the emergency room. I was treated quickly and the people at the hospital were great. I am back home now. I suffered 2nd degree burns on nearly 20% of my body, from my knees to my feet, my hands, forearms and a bit of my face. I feel stupid and I still don't know how to wrap my head around this extremely traumatic event.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Wow! In a sense, you are lucky. Lost a friend a few months ago that did the same thing as you but he didn't make it. Going to be uncomfortable for a while with those burns but good that your safe.
    Keep some kerosene or diesel around for the next fire, much safer. I learned the hard way too. Get well soon.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry to hear about your friend, that's terrible. I've got alot of experience with fire, I had lighter fluid but I guess I just wasn't thinking.

Good Gawd!!! Glad you are "OK"!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Tom. I'm lucky it wasn't worse.

Holy crap dude!! Well your alive and typing so that’s a good thing! We used to have big brush burns here in the winter time, I seen that same thing happen to my uncle when I was a kid. He didn’t get any major burns but it trimmed his beard for him that’s for sure!
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm glad your uncle was ok and I'm sorry you had to see that. I got a pretty good beard trimming as well. The top of my hands are blistered but the pain has started to subside.

Hey Andrew, Heal fast and well my friend. When gasoline is given a little time the explosive fumes cover a very large area. The greatest danger is not the liquid gasoline but the gaseous vapors.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      You can throw a lit cigarette into gas, and it won't explode. Hold it above the gas...KABOOM!

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Ron. Yeah, gasoline is no joke. I knew of the dangers but I just want thinking.

Wow thank God ur ok. Man ur going on the prayer list.....Red
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Red. I appreciate the prayers.

Dang, could be worse by The Sound of It. I played with Gas once in My burn Barrel I had It filled with Leave's and decided to pour a little Gas in It so I lit It and It went BOOM! Spark's and Fire like 40 feet in The Air and I think I flipped My Hood to cover Me lol.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I got lucky. Same thing happened to me, except I was in the fire

Goodness, glad you are ok! Could have been much worse .I have a good friend who is a nurse at the burn center in Augusta GA she sees lots of patients who suffer burns from brush piles .Take very good care of your wounds! You are very blessed. Might not feel that way but it is true!
    South Carolina

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Josie.

Good thing you didn't breath in too deep. Lung damage from breathing in the super heated air is what kills people a lot of times in a fire, not the burns themselves. Glad you made it out. Scary stuff,man. It's going to take some time to heal, but just focus on the fact that you are still here to heal up. Take care of yourself.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, flint. It happened so fast but everything slowed down. As I saw the flames entering my mouth I knew I had to breathe out. Glad I was able to think quick enough to do so.

You had better be thankful that it wasn't worse. It only takes a little bit, to make a good size explosion. When we have a pile that requires gasoline, we pour about a pint, run to about 50 feet away, and throw a lit sparkler into the pile. It flames instantly. Once, we put almost a gallon on the pile and threw the sparkler in, and the result was a movie-style ball of fire that lifted the pile off of the ground. I am glad to here that you are somewhat okay. Heal up!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Kentucky. I am very thankful.

Good to hear it was not worse and glad you got through it. Thanks for sharing this may save someone else from getting into the same situation.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Chase. I hope that others can learn from my experience.

Holy moley that’s a scary story! I learned a similar but less catastrophic lesson with gasoline & a leaf pile years ago. I stay away from the stuff except to fuel my vehicles.
    Assume the docs gave you some salve & pain meds. Gonna take time & some TLC to heal. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Deb
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Deb. I've had guns pulled on me and held to my head and this was the scariest thing I have ever experienced. The doc and nurses took care of me and hooked me up with some good medicine.

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      What!?

You are a very lucky man, as has been pointed out already fire in the lungs is a real killer.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Bruce. Yeah, I got very lucky. Just glad I lived to tell the tale.

Going to post pics in the random picture thread.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw your pictures and lucky does not describe it.

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty graphic. I had the bandages off to clean the wounds and figured I'd have the wife snap some pics. Never thought I'd be a burn victim.

glad you ae ok sending healing prayers
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Matt.
Working...
X