Lesson learned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson learned.

We have had lots of rain here in Central Ohio, and the ground is saturated. I hit my site after work the other day, it was sunny but I heard thunder off to the west. I had just got down to a productive sandbar on the creek I hunt when I heard a strange roaring sound. Sounded like gushing water. The creek was pretty calm and surprising not very high for all the recent rains. Luckily I was wise enough to realize the thunder came from an area upstream. I decided to play it safe and head back to the trail. As I walked off the bar and waded into the knee deep water I noticed a one foot high rush of water rolling down the stream towards me. As I got to the bank and turned around, the sand bar I was just standing on was couple inches underwater. Within minutes it was two feet under raging water. The area that was knee deep was now probably five feet of swift water. That was my first experience with a flash flood. Had I not moved at that exact moment. I would have had a real difficult time getting off, or even standing on that gravel bar. Just a reminder to all of us to be aware of our surroundings. Keep an eye on the weather and from time to time, take a break from looking down and gather your bearings. Be safe everyone.
    Central Ohio

Man! I am glad to here that your okay. The remnants of Gordon, are dumping about three inches of rain today here. The creek levels are rising, and the Ohio river is taking over the banks. We have a racetrack in Portsmouth Ohio, and it is 100% under water right now. I haven't heard of flash flooding in our area yet, but it will happen. I am glad that it clicked in your brain at that moment. It could have been much worse. You didn't even bring your floaties!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Glad your safe.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Good point Flint Thanx
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Glad you shared this story with us as in the past while river walking with my wife, I had noticed mean looking clouds to the north of us upstream and mentioned to her should we be worried about a flash flood seeing how we are on the Canadian shield and rock isn't very absorbent, and she would always think that was ridiculous. So I was glad to tell her your story so now she thinks differently about that possibility, your experience might save us from a dangerous situation in the future, thanks.

Comment

Yeah Mother Nature is nothing to fool with that's for sure...she can kill ya in an instant...
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Glad you are OK! Note to all who venture outdoors please be safe out there.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

FG makes a very important point. Stay aware of your surroundings and remember to look up once in awhile. Ya never know when a flash flood is brewing or maybe a bear is looking over your shoulder.
                Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
                X