No announcement yet.

Could of would have should have saved !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could of would have should have saved !

With Red turning 65 it got me thinking of the past as many of us are in this range some less some more .

Well that went sideways . But I wish my Dad would have let me keep his WWII Fighter pilot jacket . Bad memories and it had to go in the trash . When I would go to the store and get a loaf of bread for Mom for 35 cents and my change would have a buffalo nickel in it and Indian head pennies .

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Tam you’re mailbox is full

I still have a few things my grandfather has saved over the years. He wasn't a hoarder, he was just a collector of way to many antiques. :-) Folks didn't know why on earth he collected milk bottles in the 60's. Nobody knew why he collected paper labels off of soda bottles, or saved parts to WWII guns. My grandmother all but went crazy, when he brought home a one ton piece of ship, that was shelled in WWII. but I am glad he did. Although the ship piece is gone, I still have the above mentioned things. I am glad when people save some things, instead of throwing them out.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• BabaORiley
      BabaORiley commented
      Editing a comment
      A one ton hunk of ship??? LOL...that's awesome Ethan...your Grandfather sounds like he was quite the interesting man...

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      He brought it in on a huge truck, and my grandmother almost chocked on her lunch when she saw it! He put it in the front yard for the whole neighborhood to see. A giant piece of metal, with a equally big hole in the center. He was a big WWII enthusiast. He was just a wee bit to young when the war came around, and it crushed him that he couldn't join. He collected everything under the sun from that era.

Good post Tam. I just rolled Ulysses Grant back in October and I am on the less end of the age you stated but certainly in that genre. Ever listen to that Jimmy Buffet song "A Pirate Looks at Forty"...good song...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s my favorite song. I busted a Grant in August!

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      And love it

My mistake has been saving things and memories vs money and investments......I only wish now I'd paid more attention. Being self employed sometimes doesn't help with "benefits". At this point now...we wish we would have had children... But: If wishes were fishes we'd all swim in riches. People in Hell want ice-water. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. If you poop in one hand and wish in the other see which one fills up faster. All mys stuff will be sold at an estate sale...a box of rocks couple bucks, some shells...bunch of shells, box for 10 bucks. Thousand marbles....dozens bottles......yard sale. LOLOLLOL I have more Hope for right now than Wishes.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      You should turn that into a antique lovers poem...

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Not that we like thinking about it or wish it to happen but..I'd like to be at that estate sale

Hey Tom - I remember when I was a kid and I'd tell my Dad "I want that" - - He'd say "Hold out your hands - now sh.. in one hand and want in the other and see which one fills up the fastest." I always took that to mean NO. I never saw the humor in it until I started telling my own kids - and now my Grand kids - that same expression.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I have been to auction sales after a good friend has passed and it's always depressing how little value is placed on the things they treasured. My solution: Give my "Stuff" to people who appreciate it while I'm still on the right side of the grass.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        I feel the same Ron. I've shared a lot and will continue to do so.

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen to that Ron.

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        The circle of life .
        Amen

Stuff Is just stuff Tam now you got me thinking try and live and appreciate every day and do something good
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        No kidding I am so appreciative of everyday . There is so much to do out there .

I have store houses full of things saved from my elders. This 1943 Ford / Ferguson tractor was my Grandfathers. I have all the implements too ! It looks rough, I need to have it painted again. I had the straight 4 flathead engine re- jugged . I did convert it from 6 V to 12 V. I’ve got to keep 7 acres shredded with it but I use to raised a half acre garden for my father. It’s my prize , that I rode with him to go fishing countless times , at the creek . It had to be long long hours farming, two rows at a time... JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        It does not matter what you make, it matters what you keep!

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a gem

As most of y’all know I lost most of the cool mementos of my early years a few years back when I also lost my Mom, but I did manage to hold onto my Papaw’s WWII USMC Kabar, and it happens to have a pic of my Mom in the hilt when she was little. She was born right after he deployed, and was almost 5 when he first saw her face to face. It is the one physical thing I treasure above all else.
      he was an island hopper and after learning the history of those battles, I’m just glad he lived so I could know him.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        My Father said he was in the SP in a fox hole eating peanuts for 2 weeks . Bad war for sure .
        All wars are .

Yes , I just keep a few things now . It seems we move every decade so you learn to pass on items to people who need them or appreciate them . Moving is no fun .
      Family memmirobilia is always a cherished item . Just putting that turpentine holder in my kitchen window in the cabin is an example .
      But the things I saw as a kid and never appreciated make me crazy . Like throwing arrowheads at my brother at the lake in Mi. Picking them up in your toes and throwing um playing .
      What happened to my stamp collection Dad ??
      I have my coins but the stuff that floated around back then .
      But L-Man using his farming equipment still is so cool .

Comment

All I got left of my old man....sis found it in attic couple months ago. ...fought the Nazis in Germany WW2 ..it's cool I got it Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190120_160439.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	345048 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190120_160501.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	345049
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Whoa that’s a keeper

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is awesome.👍👍

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx Jethro man it's special

My grandmother did not like to throw anything away she had rooms full of stuff. Some rooms you could not even get into due to so much stuff. The one and only thing she threw away was my dads baseball card collection which contained according to my dad some really nice cards such as several Mickey Mantle cards etc.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Working...
        X