Gettysburg part 2: Eve of Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettysburg part 2: Eve of Battle

It is now June 30th, and the armies both North and South have assembled near Gettysburg. During the afternoon, Union Cavalry Brigidiar General John Buford rode out with his staff and aides along the Cashtown Pike, west of Gettysburg, and spotted a large column of rebel infantry several miles away. He ordered pickets along the road, under the command of Colonel Devin, to keep an eye out for the rebel advance,. Buford knew that he must hold the high ground for any chance of a Union victory. Without the high ground, the rebels would sweep over the fields, take the hills, and slaughter the Union army. He only had enough dismounted men to have one man per yard, stretched out thinly West of Gettysburg. Buford immediately sent a letter to Union Infantry commander John Reynolds, to bring up the First Corps for support. Reynolds was still a half a days march away though. Buford would have to wait till morning until he could get support.

Meanwhile on the Rebel side, everything was going according to plan, or so they thought. About a month earlier, Confederate Cavalry General J. E. B. Stuart took his cavalry, and made daring raids up North, separating himself from the rest of the army.

In those days, the cavalry were used as scouts and probes. They would find the enemy, relay the numbers and strength, and probe to see how ready to fight they were. Without Stuart however, Lee was left virtually blind as to where the enemy was. It was a catastrophe that would bring the South to its most dire situation.

On the evening on June 30th, 1863, just as dusk was falling, many soldiers still didn't know what was happening. They knew a battle was on the way though. Letters were written, some were read, and re-read. Many puffed nervously away with their clay or wooden pipes. Countless soldiers prayed to God to deliver them to safety the following morning. Many took little slips of paper with their names written on them, an sewed them into their uniforms so their bodies could be identified. A few in the camp would bring out instruments, and play Dixie, Bonnie Blue Flag, Home Sweet Home, The Girl I left behind, Battle Cry of Freedom, and Just before the battle, mother, depending on the army. Soldiers would sing along, and many would fight back sobs from singing songs about home.

Others just cleaned and checked their muskets, while most just stared into the fire with a daze. They knew that not all of them would make it the next morning.

"Just before the battle, Mother,
    I am thinking most of you
    While upon the fields we're watching,
    With the enemy in view
    Comrades, brave, are round me lying
    Filled with thoughts of home and God
    For well they know that on the morrow
    Some will sleep beneath the sod
    Farewell, Mother, you may never
    Press me to your heart again
    But, oh, you'll not forget me, Mother
    If I'm numbered with the slain
    Hark, I hear the bugels sounding
    'Tis the signal for the fight
    Now may God protect us, Mother
    As he ever does the right
    Hear the battle cry of freedom
    How it swells up in the air
    Yes, we'll rally round the standard
    Or we'll perish nobly there
    Farewell, Mother, you may never
    Press me to your heart again
    But, oh, you'll not forget me, Mother
    If I'm numbered with the slain"
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0141.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	376113
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I like your pipes. I’ve read quite a bit on the civil war. There are stories of prisoners being treated very badly. Stories like ,
      “ Riding the Mule.” Very distasteful stories... Knowing of torture, or knowing of the saw bones doctoring, it might of been better to be kilt in action. Perhaps, that is why so many died, better to be dead than maimed for life or die from gang green .
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Most of the times, what little medicine they had, never worked, so they had to hold the amputation "victim" down, while "doc sawbones" worked. It was gruesome. There are some details about the Gettysburg aftermath that I will not post due to the graphic nature, but it is quite sickening, interesting, sad and amazing to hear at the same time.

Love those pipes . Deb a mentor on here no longer... taught me about those . Do you know and I just read it off a link they stoped making them because cigarettes got popular . something to that note .
      Those are great ones . Especially the white one is not one you see all the time .. I think ?? Or I have not

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I am trying to learn more about it. These were dug in a training camp in New York.

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Big battle topic will be posted tonight about the first days battle. Tomorrow the second, and the day after that the fourth battle. July 4th, I will write something about independence day, and the aftermath of Gettysburg, plus artifacts recovered there.
    Working...
    X