Vikings in New Jersey ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bullheadtee View Post
    Kim they could go as far as their ships would take them I'm shure their was no shortage of food. The further south they tracked I believe they were eventually absorbed or exterminated.
    Yah or just went home. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullheadtee View Post
      Kim they could go as far as their ships would take them I'm shure their was no shortage of food. The further south they tracked I believe they were eventually absorbed or exterminated.
      It’s possible their presence in Newfoundland may have lasted much longer than has been assumed:

Certainly, they were capable, and one might expect there was a continent looming, that would inspire further voyages. I should think they could not miss that. However, the trouble with unrecorded/undocumented expeditions, unless they were intended as settlement voyages, is that singular voyages will be all but impossible to find evidence of. It’s as great a “needle in haystack” search as one could imagine. Brief voyages, not intended for settlement. We simply cannot expect to find actual evidence. What would they lose, or leave behind? What impact could they have had? Short term, temporary, brief camps, all contribute to the unlikelihood of ever finding any evidence that such voyages happened, even though they may well have happened. Such voyages would leave no impact on local populations, and brief camps would leave little Norse artifacts to find. Not to mention actually stumbling across such camps, with none, if they happened, even recorded in the sagas. At least the known sagas left clues that eventually help lead to the discoveries in Newfoundland.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Just remembered seeing a piece of native pottery with a ship and a sail in the middle. Think it was in the nj archeology bullitin was watching a show on history and it was a Viking ship I'm almost 100% shure they were here in cumberland co
        New Jersey

Comment

Working...
        X