Geminid meteor shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geminid meteor shower

I have gone out for every meteor shower with just a big bust ... nothing just nothing and have basically stopped getting up at 3am for a once in a lifetime shot .
    Well not knowing about this one fate had its way .
    I went out on my lanai to look at the night sky and here goes a very large one . You know the 1001- to 3 and your like wow that was cool . I am trying to absorb what I just saw and right behind it another . I thought wow that’s rare . Then a streak to the left . Now a thin one with teal green trails and red well I run and google and sure enough .
    Low flying planes going by for the show was the give away . I was treated to about 9 total and some fast far away streaks .
    I have lived a new chapter in my life .
    Charlie you know I was thinking of you !
    Its on again tonight folks but I’ll live with what I experienced .

It is an experience.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Cosmic fireworks. I bet the sky looks awful big in Hawaii.
      California

Comment

With 1 million people on oahu you have to have a dark night and be in the country . I had both last night . And because of Covid the hotels are not lite up like Vegas yet .

Comment

Every durn meteor shower this year— cloudy or rainy. 😡
          Child of the tides

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too it’s my first

Cloudy here, good for yo...Can you imagine what the N/A’s thought when viewing an event..
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Yes, Tam, I believe this shower is notable for bolides, large ones, colorful, the color dependent on composition. We have not checked it out. Lazy I guess, skies were clear last night.
            Rhode Island

Comment

So, no situ pics I suppose ?
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

No it was a freak not knowing it was coming and was just out there at the right time .
                If you goggle the shower there are some people with the great cameras and telescope set ups that did go up to the craters and get them .
                Simple me nothing .

Comment

These being from what's left from the tail of a comet, do any make it to the ground without burning up?
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

About three years ago after a party at our house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150718_222233.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	516226
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• cgode
                      cgode commented
                      Editing a comment
                      party animal you are Greg!

2013, Chelyabinsk, Russia. Here’s what can happen. A superbolide. The sights, sounds, and shock wave damage. If this had exploded a bit lower in the atmosphere, one million might have died. The shock wave arrives sometime after the visible disintegration. It arrives after the bolide has blinked out, and only a highly visible smoke trail remains hanging in the sky. People are naturally looking at the trail, when the initial shock wave arrives. Hundreds were injured, most by flying glass.

Great compilation:

And two of the stones that rained down from the exploding superbolide that day:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_101080.jpg Views:	8 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	516242
                    Last edited by CMD; 12-15-2020, 09:55 PM.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

Tam, one December maybe 10 years ago, me and best friend went out Christmas shopping and headed back home probably was 1:00 am. We rode home, an hour's drive, and watched meteor showers the entire ride home. Had to be something special going on because it was amazing! Glad you timed it perfectly!
                      South Carolina

Comment

Working...
                      X