FINALLY employed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY employed

This has been one strange journey. What started out as moving away from home to get a railroad job turned into disappointment after disappointment, to annoyance, to despair to finally employed.

The railroad gave me a once over, said they liked me, but in the end said that I was too young and didn't have enough work experience. That was disappointing. Then I applied for a warehouse job, which to me, seemed pretty simple. Once again I received the same answer. Too young, and no job experience. Then I tried another warehouse. Too young, and no work experience. By this time I was getting quite annoyed. It seems that my own generation was shooting me in the foot. Nobody wanted to hire me. I tried again, this time at a package sorting facility. I received the same answer. By this time, I was desperate. I tried once more at a manufacturing plant and got a different experience. They took me for a tour of the place and said that as long as I liked the looks of everything, and pass a drug test, I had a job. Well I obviously don't do drugs, so today I had my drug test and Monday is my starting day, or night rather. 12 hour shifts with rotating work positions, $18 an hour to start, with benefits. It isn't what I wanted, but I think I'll get used to it. It's a good thing I found a job, because I only have $30 to my name.

Now I can relax. I was starting to lose sleep over this.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Crazy world a lot of people would rather live on the street than work. Hopefully this will work into something good for you.

Comment

Congratulations! I’ve hired a lot of people over the course of my working years. Keep your work record and attendance impeccable and get some experience under your belt and then apply again at the railroad!
      South Carolina

Comment

Congrats on the new job. There's no shame in manufacturing positions. Maybe you can run your own business some day.
        South Carolina

Comment

KY Point:
          I agree the cannot hire due to lack of experience seems an illogical viscous cycle.
          How is one to gain said experience if never given a chance. I recall those feelings years ago. Now, I have worked hard for more than two decades… believe it or not, you will miss the chapter you currently find yourself.
          Looks like you got yours.
          Keep up the good work! In and out of the fields!
          Flint and Nuther One
          northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. As someone who has interviewed a lot of people for railroad jobs, I preferred people with no experience. You don’t have to un-learn them their bad habits before teaching them what you want them to know.

Good on you
          Wyoming

Comment

Congrats, good pay and plenty of hours. Plus You will be getting some work experience as You age.
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Congrats Ethan!
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Congratulations Ethan. Glad you found something. I worked in a manufacturing plant for 9 years. 19 years old til I was 28. Gained a lot of experience. Started a landscaping business while there. Worked nights in plant then landscaped days. I started at the lowest position in the place. Worked my way to night shift supervisor. Left because the landscape business took off. Learn everything yo can.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Congrats. Life hands you plenty of obstacles but if you're a doer, believe in yourself, are motivated and focused you'll find nothing is beyond you.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Gongrats...You’ll most likely have many more just in the nick of time moments in your life Ethan but praise be to God you’re not alone 👍
                    Floridaboy.

Comment

Congratulations, way to stick it out and you kept going forward.
                      Missouri

Comment

Congrats, gotta stay persistent.
                        Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Congrats and good pay too . Sounds like a few discrimination lawsuits about being too young

Comment

Never be ashamed of a lower salaried job. When I started working it was for $1.67 an hour. I retired st 59 and have not looked back.
                            Bruce
                            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
                            X