Beware the Flea Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware the Flea Market

Flea markets and small antique shops are always a joy to walk around and look at our favorite things. Old things. I myself, am a bottle hunter extraordinaire, finding neat bits of local history and even a bottle from a dairy owned and operated by ancestors. I've found WWII Helmets and uniforms, coins, old coal mining equipment, and yes, even arrowheads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0998.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	644568

Most shops I've been to have at least one Riker case of field grade points. These are always fun to pick through. The only drawback is that most are field grade, like the ones above. Nothing wrong with that, but if you're after serious collector pieces, you might be out of luck.

Enter, the fakery.

I found these boxes below, at an antique shop in Lewisburg Pennsylvania today. At a distance, I was excited to see some points, but as I got close, I realized that the whole case was bad.

Name:	arrow1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	644569

Notice the tag. "Liquidation Sale". This is a handy gimmick to make the less wary believe that they are getting a deal, just because the seller needs to get rid of them quickly. Don't ever fall for such tricks! No authentic Cumberland point in G-10 condition will ever sell for $70. G-10 Clovises (Clovisi?) don't sell for that cheap either.

Name:	arrow2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	644570

In this box, we see a G-10 Scottsbluff from Sweetwater Co. Wyoming for $90. Museum grade indeed, if only it were real! All the points are perfect G-10s and they are thrown together in a broken down shoe box. Red flags everywhere! Notice how each point is almost the exact same thickness.

Name:	arrow3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	644571

Here are some rougher pieces, but still, all I see are fakes.

Name:	arrow4.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	644572

And even here, nothing can be trusted. This is the sad part. There could be real stuff mixed in with the bad, but since all we've seen so far has been bad/questionable, in my opinion it makes the whole case bad.

Not pictured were "field grade" points, that were all made out of exotic material, for $20 a piece.

Remember, sometimes you find A bargain, not a whole case of bargains on perfect items!

Name:	DSC_0999.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	644573Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1000.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	644574

Please do not yell at me, I already know this is a bad piece, and the money went to a scam artist. I just happened to take a liking to it. Whoever made these was skilled. The tags say both Brooks County GA, and TN, so where it's "from" is anyone's guess. Does anyone know the lithic? It's almost grainy, but not really.

When at flea markets, just be wary and always question everything! If it's too good to be true, it probably is. I rarely get burned, but if I do, it's because I bought the story and not the piece.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Solid advice, KP!
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Dang. I was hoping they had their decimal point in the wrong place. .70

Comment

..Please don’t call it a Bull tongue Simpson Lol..
        Floridaboy.

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I won't. Never even heard of one until today, lol!

Those bull tongue variants are the bestest! Heck I like It too

Comment

Wow, alot of reproductions in one setting. Many years ago when I lived in Dothan Alabama I went into a antique shop there and I even noticed rechipped regular field grade points $8-10 each from what I remember). I even saw a point that had been painted over, it actually looked legit from a distance but upon close inspection you could see the paint loose in very small areas around the ears and base. I wish I took a picture of it. Anyways, be weary of buying any type of artifacts; be familiar with material types from your area and flaking techniques. Definitely have a eye out on rechipping; patina difference between modern and ancient work and as KP said if it looks to good to be true; it is.

I can't take credit for this one (wish I could; picture taken from a website). I've never found a "BullTongue " Simpson but this is what they supposedly look like.

​​​​​​​
          Attached Files
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it's a made up term, I've never come across it elsewhere.

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s a valid Florida subtype.

Very fun read. Thanks for posting KP. and the responses are also informative.
          Missouri

Comment

I could never get into buying artifacts. All the fun and excitement is in finding them. Who else dosen't want to spent 8 hours or more of time on a .25 cent field point lol. Seriously thought, you cant buy the excitement of finding an artifacts that's thousands of years old.

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              True enough, but I'm a terrible artifact hunter, lol!

I hear ya, I found an undisturbed camp in Texas loaded with artifacts when I was a young kid. It's been tough pickings here in Ohio. Maybe one of these days my luck will turn.

Comment

Speaking of patina, I work in the metal fabrication trade. Certain types of metal when exposed to oxygen will oxidize/rust. Copper is a good example. Is the patina on a stone artifacts oxide or is it a stain?

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                It's actual patina, although some are stained. Mineralization, staining and oxidation affect points kinda like oxidation on metal, but over a much longer period of time.

Wow 140.00 banner stone, how could a person pass that up. Make a nice toilet flusher handle.
              SE IA

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                Whoever made these was skilled, and they are beautiful. It's a shame they are being sold as legit. I'm probably going back this weekend to search the place further.

Thank you kindly for the response. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

Working...
              X