The Sanctuary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sanctuary

Today I want to show you the most emblematic hill in my town, we call it the sanctuary, there is a church on the plateau, and a virgin on a rock on the hill, painted by a man hanging from a rope, as a promise for her mother, it measures 40 meters, people in Mexico are very devoted to the Virgin Mary who according to the church appeared to an Indian, this to eradicate the cult of Tonanzin Coatlicue "Our mother the one who dress snakes skirt"and replace her with the virgin , the sanctuary is part of our lives, we grew up seeing it every day, and every year we see its skin change, everyone in the town has walked it, on December 12 the whole town goes up to hear mass and drink coconut and gin, it is without doubts the protagonist of the town
    In chimalli in macahuitl

Beautiful place and interesting History.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Tenoch
      Tenoch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Joshin,wath i can tell, its my hometown Jalpa, Jalpa means over the sand, comes from Nahuatl, Xalli "sand" and Pan 'over" Xalpan Altepetl its the original name,Altepetl means pueblo,Atl "water" tepetl" hill"
      Last edited by Tenoch; 03-18-2024, 10:09 AM.

Truly sanctuary!

(but too bad we can’t see the Mother that Mary replaced!)
    Last edited by Cecilia; 03-18-2024, 06:53 AM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Tenoch
      Tenoch commented
      Editing a comment
      I post bellow a Coatlicue pic, im wrong the Virgin insnt Mary is Virgen de Guadalupe, people calling lovely La Morenita, "Little brunette"

Very cool post Tenoch. I enjoyed the story and pictures posted...

Comment

• Tenoch
      Tenoch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jon, i want to show the place were i was born...

She is Tonantzin Coatlicue
    In chimalli in macahuitl

Comment

Working...
    X