Strange outdoor experiences...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange outdoor experiences...

Besides spending countless hours searching, digging, wading or whatever your means of hunting artifacts may be most of us here probably spend a lot of time in the outdoors. What is a strange happening, experience or sighting you have had? It doesn't have to be while you were out looking for 'heads just anytime you were out and about. If you are like me and you are outdoors in all conditions most of your life then you have run across a thing or two that ya just cant explain. Lets hear your tales...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

I have a few stories but a couple involve driving.
    About 18 years ago I was driving My first car which had manual drum brakes on Old Highway 21 (nicknamed blood alley) which is still a 2 lane in The country south of here. There was an older woman up ahead carrying a bag on the shoulder of my side of the highway while there was a group of bikers on the northbound side heading toward me. A small gust of wind blew a can into the path of my car and I guess that is what the woman was doing (picking up cans) and She crossed the line from the shoulder and into my lane. I probably laid on my horn and brakes and she stepped back just in time to not get hit. It was a very close call though and wouldn't have been pretty. I can not explain why in the world she wouldn't have looked before trying to grab the can!

Another time I decided to head down that same highway one afternoon but I can't remember why I waited maybe 45 minutes to head down there but then left. While passing through after a storm came through just minutes earlier (maybe a half hour?) destroying a lumber company building and knocking down power lines i crept through the damaged area. A Tornado came through the same path and about the same time I would have driven through there.

Just a couple years ago I went to my creek spot and started following these large predator tracks and it was all going well until i seen blood with a track and that's when I got an uneasy feeling that I may encounter a large wounded (probably grumpy) Animal and since I had nothing but a stick I jogged out of that place fast! Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1453.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	219125

Not sure what made those tracks..

Cool topic!
    Last edited by JoshinMO; 07-23-2016, 10:03 AM.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Most people wouldn't even have seen the track let alone the blood. ..Chuck

• BabaORiley
      BabaORiley commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe the distraction of the bikes? Good 6th sense there by you. Waiting a bit before leaving not knowing u were avoiding a devastating storm? Again..#6...that large track, possibly a cougar? It may have been dragging a kill that led to the blood...good stories Josh. Figured you had a few...

Some years ago I was working as a caretaker in a 50 acre cemetery. I worked there for over 6 years and wound up as the overall manager. During my time as caretaker, I was mowing over in the older section of the cemetery during the late fall when I encountered a fairly large whirlwind, complete with swirling leaves and lots of dust. I stopped the mower and walked around a bit but couldn't find any wind or breeze action anywhere else. Tree tops were completely still. So I got back on my mower, kept the blades turned off, and started rolling back and forth with the mower, without mowing. There it was again and it really seemed to be following me but that couldn't be because whirlwinds are random. So I started moving away I moved further into the older section. The whirlwind stayed right behind me about 10-15 feet. If I turned - so did it. I really felt kinda silly being chased by a whirlwind but as soon as I drove out of the old section into the newest part of the cemetery, the whirlwind disappeared. Now this is the strange part. The whirlwind actually stopped at the dividing line between the old and new section. The leaves fell to the ground and the sand settled down on the roadway. I drove back through the area several times after that but never encountered that phenomena again.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Sound's like a dust devil, or spirit.

• BabaORiley
      BabaORiley commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe something/someone or whatever just didn't want to be disturbed that day...great story Scorp...

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      That would scare me . Fun fact , Rod Stewart was a grave digger before he became famous . My brother did electrical work for him and they would chat .

A whirlwind is referenced in the Bible that's a fact. I find your encounter particularly interesting because of where it happened. I'm not trying to push any beliefs in any way just commenting on a nice story.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually Baba the term whirlwind is used 39 times in the Bible. The initial use was when Elijah was taken up to Heaven. I'm not all that learned on the Bible - I used my concordance that lists all the major words in the Bible and gives a proper definition based on that particular usage. Your comment piqued my interest so I had to look it up. Thanks so much for the comment...

As told to me by my wife, the day it happened. I believed her without reservation. Not that this was at all a common occurrence. Never before or since.

Before we really had any sites to surface hunt, we were shown a village site where many, many people had dug over the years. I had a bad back in those days and only participated once in awhile. But my wife often journeyed to the site alone and dug for hours. One day she was digging on one side of a hearth we had exposed. She looked up. Standing about 10 feet distant was a tall native man. Long black hair. On his legs he wore what looked like buckskin leggings. Over his shoulder was draped a bright red blanket. He was looking directly into my wife's eyes as she looked directly into his. Basically expressionless, just staring at her. He was solid, not some see through apparition. After a few seconds, he simply faded until he was no longer visible. My wife packed up all her gear and walked through the woods to her car and left. She never again dug at that site. Now and then we walk the property, but never again did we dig there.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Cool story there CMD. What area did that take place in? I would believe her also. Ya don't just make that up. I would have done the same as she did and just left.

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Near our home in Rhode Island. Over the years, so many people, and groups of people, had dug there that it was like the surface of the moon. One had to be carful walking, to prevent tripping in overgrown holes.

Well. Here is mine. About 23 years ago my best friend had a farmhouse that he rented for several years. It sat on a nice rise west of town and the land slowly dropped to a river valley miles to the west. The sunsets during autumn were spectacular especially when the harvest was going on. We had a picnic table and a nice firepit that all us friends would hang out at. One really nice mid October evening it was just me and my friend Sam. We sat there and watched the sun dip below the horizon and soon the stars began to appear. We had no fire going so we could see the sky well. Rural area, no light pollution. We were sitting there and I said...hey look at those two stars to the right of where the sun just dropped...they were not far above the horizon and sitting side by side...we stood up and took better note and suddenly one of them kinda circled around the other and shot off with light speed...disappearing to the northwest and I mean fast like hyperspace fast. Meanwhile the other one just slowly faded off towards the horizon. To this day when we meet up we talk about it. I have dismissed shooting stars and no known aircraft moves as fast as the one did. Afterward we went over it and we both agreed exactly on what we saw.

Comment

I hunt way out in areas with no cell phone service deep in the woods in the same county that Mothman was reportedly seen. I have not seen anything yet lol. One of my landowner contacts told me he was riding his side by side on the trails and went on top of a ridge and was on his way down and he noticed his dogs that were running beside him going crazy. He turned off the atv and said he heard a loud screaming sound and he booked it out of there. He told me this because when I went to ask permission I noticed he had a bigfoot crossing decorative sign hanging lol. He wasn't trying to scare me off he was dead serious telling me about it. I will post an insitu if I see one out poaching my rock bars haha
        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Far as in the woods I have many stories. Back 15 years ago or so. I was deer hunting with a friend I really dislike tree stands and prefer a ground blind. On this day it was mid September and we were bow hunting. It was my first time visiting this property. We arrived Dark and early. The woods were silent and still. I walked with my friend to his blind and he pointed to a creek bed and said " Follow that creek a couple hundred yards and you will see a large boulder on the left side. It is a great place to hide" He said. The deer often followed the creek down in the morning. It was still dark when I reached the boulder. I walked over and sat down. I could here a Racoon pup calling out for it's mother. The Mom was probably down on the highway, perhaps squashed into a road kill pie. As the pup sounded panicked. It would make it's chirppiy sound and move left and make the sound again then move right all the while getting closer and closer to me as it ventured up the mountain. I could hear a faint rustling near my right leg. I did not want to turn on my flash light. ABout an hour later the sun began to rise and I could finally see the little racoon doing his search for his Mum. She however never answered. I still heard the rustling and I look down and there are two copper heads right there in a position where they are stuck together at the tails. These were the very first adult copper heads I had ever seen in my life. I thought they were some type of constrictor that had escaped from a nearby home??? I said to my self snakes do not mate this time of year. The coloring is similar to that of Boa's I had seen. I just sat there motionless I had no fear as I really did not know what they were. They soon parted and slithered off.

A year later I took a wild life management course of study and found out what I had been keeping warm that morning and I can say I am so lucky I had not been bitten. The tip off to me, I read in my training manual Copper heads mate in the fall. They also carry the young over winter and give live birth in the spring on the year. I recall in high school we cut a class and where in an area with large stones and the baby copper heads had crawled out from the rocks in the noon day sun. We played with them. LOL. I learned from my class also that the baby Copper Head is born with venom and ready to bite and kill prey. Yeah we were lucky no one was bit that day either.

SInce the Paranormal was brought up I figure I could share this. It was not out doors on a hunt but it happened to me. I will share for those of you who want to hear it. I lived in an old Victorian style house in a second floor apartment for years. I had strange encounters in that home. Something would come and sit on my chest while I was asleep and wake me. It would also turn my television on in the living room. This was prior to remote controls. The TV would just come on with no one in the room. Some of the times I was alone in the home as I worked nights and slept days while the kiddies were at school and my wife was at work. One day I went to the neighborhood sports bar for a couple of beers. There was the girl there and she comes over and asks . "excuse me do you live at 316? " I say yes I do. She asks second floor? I nod yes. She then says you must know about "it" then. I knew exactly what she was talking about. She had lived there prior to me and said she was driven from the home by "it"

Another time when I was much younger I had seen an apparition several times at my best friends Victorian style home in Shelton CT. It was always in the same area of the home and although it was like a mist or a cloud I got the feeling it was a young female child. That house had a cool widow''s watch in it. The family had always claimed the widow's watch was sealed off because it was haunted.

There is a Colonial cemetery in Shelton CT called the Ode Coram cemetery. Head stones in there back into the 1700's. In the early 20th century it was used to bury the poor in unmarked graves. The entire site was also once part of an Indian Village. One day I asked for permission to hunt the adjacent property which was an old sand and gravel operation. I cut through the cemetery on my way over as I liked to look at the old stones and wonder about the people who rested there. On this day I walked by a fresh grave and there was a femur laying there. I picked it up and was looking at it and I could hear some one quite close to me but invisible whistling. It was a very open area. You could see in all direction perhaps fifty yards or so. The whistling sounded like it was right beside me. I put the bone back on the ground and left the area quickly.

Cool subject. I have tons of stories. I grew up in the land of the Melon Heads. Google them Saw Mill City Rd Shelton CT http://www.damnedct.com/the-melon-heads
          Another local favorite back in the day was the White Lady of Easton CT. The famed poltergeist hunters The Warren's also lived quite close to that Easton location.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

This thread is great. Love hearing these kind of stories. I got another now that I think of it. Me and some buddies were having a sleepover at my friends house. We decided we would be cool and go to the cemetery at 2-3 AM and try to see a ghost. He lives out in the country and there is an old church up on a hill with a cemetery. Some of the graves were 1800s I believe. We went and walked around. Nothing. Took a digital camera and I just randomly asked questions/took pictures. We came back and looked at them on the computer. Everything came back normal except 2 pictures had weird fog/smoke in them. It was a clear summer night. I swear I see faces in it. I know there is some fancy word for seeing faces in inanimate objects and I'm not saying that this picture is not that....but I took almost 200 pictures and only 2 had this weird stuff in it...I thought that was kind of odd

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_20160727_14_12_30_Saved_Picture.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	219661
            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

One of the strangest things I have ever seen: It scared the heck out of me and a friend: The military authorities deny it ever happened. I had several Beagles at the time. I trained the hounds five days a week and competed in Beagle field trials. In the middle of the summer Todd and I would run the hounds in the middle of the night because it was too hot to work the beagles in the daytime. We were over on the eight mile north of Manistique Michigan in the Upper Peninsula. We had a clear sky. At about 1:15 AM I saw a large fireball coming up from the northeastern horizon. I brought it to Todd’s attention and we both watched in amazement as the fireball slowly moved across the sky in our direction. It appeared to move slowly because it was a long way off: I suspect that it was actually moving very fast. When the large fireball was about 60 degrees above the horizon I noticed that there were four very small fireballs following it. Now the excitement ramped up a bit. As we watched, the four small fireballs were slowly but surely catching up to the big fireball. All five fireballs passed overhead and moved off to the southwest. At no time did they change direction. When the fireballs were about 70 degrees above the horizon I said to Todd, “They’re going to catch that sucker any second now”. Well there was a big explosion and we watched as the burning pieces fell straight down. We saw the explosion but didn’t hear it: Apparently it was too far away for us to hear the blast.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron, You ever watch the movie, Escanaba in the Moonlight? It's hilarious and you might be able to relate. A great flick with Jeff Daniels about deer camp and aliens, funny!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Greg, I saw it and yes it is hilarious. LOL Funny story Greg some of the stuffed shirts hated the movie because it made Yoopers look like buffoons. Do they not get that it's a comedy?

I saw that movie also it is very funny especially if you have spent time around those folks and you know some about their culture. It is not intended to make anyone look like a buffoon either. Jeff Daniels is a Yooper and currently resides there I believe. I 'll say this also that in the 30 years I have been spending time in the UP I have met some of the kindest, down to earth folks ever.

Comment

My grandmother was having a rough day many years ago. She was walking along a straight road in rural Pennsylvania. She sat along the guard rail in silence. Then she heard footsteps and she looked up to see an older aged gentleman walking, then sit down beside her. He said, "Having a rough day?" She nodded and wiped a tear from her eye. "Don't worry, he said. God will take care of it, and it will be all right." And with that, he got up and started walking again. She sat for a moment, then she went to go and thank him, and he was gone. Straight road with open plowed fields on either side, he was gone. Without a trace. Poof! She went home and from there on, everything turned out all right, just like the man had said.

Her house exploded and caught fire the week before. Her husband (my grandfather) wasn't in good health and she recently had a heart attack. This man/angel/ghost/whatever really changed the way she was thinking, and she got back to being her normal cheerful self again.

Spooky? Yes. True? Absolutely.
                "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• JoshinMO
                  JoshinMO commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like this one.

Working my entire adult life I fled for the outdoors any chance I had . I’ll pick a couple ones .
                On a ski trip with all advanced off trail people looking for adventure . The mountain is so radical we are at 12k ft now from descending from above . As we get lower about 11-10 k ft or lower we all come to a hault . An avalanche has happened . By the looks of it a day before . Now with boulder size snow balls you cannot ski out of that . We all snap out of our skies and sink thigh high . Ok now what .
                We crawl on our bellies and pull our skis along for probably over an hour with breaks till we could get our skies back on and get the heck out of there . I as truly worried !
                This is happy :
                At the beach in Hawaii , big campfire in the country .
                then comes a big meteor that breaks up and goes from one end of the ski to the other . The kind we are all holding beers and look at each other ... no one said a word while it was happening .

Comment

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meteor must have been cool! I haven't seen a shooting star before. Not patient enough I guess! :-)
              Working...
              X