Double Top Mountain Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Top Mountain Cut

Have been watching this logging operation for about 3 months now. I was really surprised to see it. My neighbor, who has been a logger ever since they hauled logs by mule, said it's a clear cut job, which explains the clear landscape. I guess the Governor ok'd it and it put quite a few people to work. They brought in 3 big machines that just walked up one side and down the other felling, stripping, cutting and stacking. Joe said the machines probably ran in excess of $700K each. Click image for larger version

Name:	Dbl Top Clear Cut.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	306116
    You can't see it but the clear cutting wraps around the mountain below this picture for quite a ways. A lot of the wood was waste wood, like from trash trees. I drove down closer and noticed they were actually leaving some stands of oak and maple, small stuff but it'll grow much bigger as time goes on. Right now it looks horrible but it won't be long before it starts greening over unless these torrential downpours start washing away the dirt and clay. Anyway - I was sitting here looking at that and said to myself, "Self, you need to find out who owns that land and see if you can arrowhead hunt some of those washouts and cleared areas. And that's just what I'm gonna do. Ya never know what's lurking down there just waiting to be discovered.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Yep...after the rains give it a look for sure Chuck...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Good luck Chuck!
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Man, Chuck, I confess I'm no fan of clear-cutting, although I realize that for timber companies it's the most economical means to harvest timber. In my part of the world corn & soybean fields have given way to solar farms. I hate to see the green disappear. 😢
        I'm glad you can see the flip side.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Looking on the bright side of a clear cut operation is something I have never tried Chuck.
          Here on the west coast they are a blight on the landscape.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Clear cutting kinda goes hand in hand with the rock mining and coal mining. In this are of Tennessee they have what we call "rock mines" where they strip the surface off down to about 20-30feet and start harvesting slabs of slate for roofing, flooring, counter tops, walkway slabs etc etc. This process may cover an entire mountain side that is surely visible from space. I don't see how the land could survive that process because there's no surface dirt/clay left for anything to grow in. On the other hand, clear cutting opens up the land to new growth although it will take years for the land to recover, and recover it will. Some companies will reseed the land to restart the environment. I've noticed many of the clear cut areas were turned into pasture once they greened over. Conversely, The small time loggers usually go into an area and pre-select trees to harvest then only take those but there is some other trees damaged in the process. Taking only the larger trees opens the canopy to the newer growth below. Unfortunately we're human beings and often the dollar dictates the quickest route not necessarily the most environmentally friendly.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Chuck we just experienced this in May . Our neighbor had a logging co come in and take a row then leave a row . We thought well this is a great job let’s use these guys to do about 20 acres so we can walk it it’s just to thick . Those pines are 20 years old and it’s time to cut them . Then you just replant .
              We just found out he clear cut the 150 acres . Wow why would they go back and do that after neatly taking a neat row One at a time .
              Its going to be interesting to find out what happened but it’s either money or disease . Yes I am shocked to see a 100 year old oak that has fallen to a storm just get passed up . To many trees . The surplus is crazy .
              I was walking the edge and can’t wait to get back because I found spalls the size of my palm . You to have had so much rain there should be somthing out there for sure .
              The slate I can’t imagine that . Almost distructive to the point of no return .

Comment

Looks like a lot of good walking there.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                X