• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sad Snapper Story !

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220530_072821.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	636701 I first encountered Tina back in 2016 in about the same spot. I was metal detecting to beat the heat and in the foggy distance I spotted a large snapper laying eggs I worked. Over to her and just for curiosity sake swung my detector over her and was quite surprised to get a signal when I did. A low lead reading like a splitshot or 22 bullet she had a small healed up hole on her shell well fast fwd 2022 same spot same time spot a large snapper laying eggs and was again surprised when I passed my coil over her a got a response it was her again 5 years later and a bit larger well I thought that might be the last time I ever saw her as once they lay their eggs they return to the water but I came back a week later a spotted her again thought it was weird but didn't think much of it came back the next morning to beat the heat and found her deceased. Next to a hole she had dug to lay eggs. Not shure what killed her old age the lead in her the stress of being on land in a hot field for days guess her maternal instincts kept her their 😢https://youtube.com/shorts/IkQygUHCnMc?feature=share
    Last edited by Bullheadtee; 05-31-2022, 10:17 AM.
    New Jersey

New Jersey

Comment

Night before I found her dead https://youtu.be/BEo5-8jVwB4
      New Jersey

Comment

😢😪
        Floridaboy.

Comment

May Tina Rest In Peace. I love people, but I love animals more.
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Hopefully a couple of the probably hundreds of eggs she's laid hatched and will come back to lay eggs in Tina's field.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Did you dig around to see what was in her may have been a gold ring

Comment

People have been hell on Snapping Turtles yet They still wander The Water.
                http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I think maybe she was egg-bound. Distocia.. Poor thing.

Dystocia, also known as egg retention, in turtles can be a serious medical condition that can lead to complications if not addressed. If your turtle stops laying eggs abruptly or seems to be straining excessively, take her to your veterinarian as soon as possible.
                  Symptoms of Dystocia (Egg Retention) in Turtles
                  • Straining, especially if one or two eggs have already passed
                  • Lack of appetite
                  • Lethargy
                  • Change in personality
                  • Irritability

Dystocia, also known as difficult birth, can occur when the egg has trouble passing through the birth canal. Sometimes the eggs are too big and cannot pass through the cloaca successfully. In other cases, the uterus fails to expel the eggs and get stuck.

There are many factors that can play a role in turtle dystocia; however, the major cause is unknown. Poor diet, incorrect environmental factors such as the wrong temperature, and other underlying diseases are all contributing factors. If your turtle cannot find a place to build her nest, this may also lead to egg retention.

Prognosis of recovery from egg retention is very good. In cases where the female has good general health, prognosis of survival is excellent. If no complications arose during dystocia, prognosis of future reproduction and egg laying is good. As long as at least one side of the female’s reproductive tract is intact, she should be able to reproduce.

Head Twitching And Appears To Be Pushing

My adult Reeves water turtle is jerking her head from side to side while appearing to be trying to push her back paws almost like laying eggs
                  . She has not laid any eggs since she was alot younger many years ago. I only noticed this behavior this morning. What should I do?

Sept. 25, 2020

Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Golly Moses……

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    TomClark, there was young girl-adult vet’s waiting room with most beautiful big colorful chameleon sitting on her chest had same problem! But she pregnant again, and babies gonna make it this time!
                Working...
                X