Be Aware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Aware!

Those of us born outdoor people have had our share of boo-boos, bites, and stings over the years. Those are not unexpected. But I never saw this coming. I saw buncha flakes rains had exposed, and started digging. Was enjoying self so much that by time was up to elbows, did not notice ants had come marching home. Got bit several places, but geez, just ant bites…. By time I was stretched out and almost to armpit, forearm turned bright red and my tongue got so big was poking outta mouth! I ran into house to slug bottle children’s Benadryl but lips so swollen, just dribbled down chin.

Scary story cut short: allergies can develop anytime, and reaction to bite or sting you experienced before can change; I suppose anaphylactic shock is next level after suffering a severe allergic reaction, so guess I’ll be checking out epi-pens before do much more digging….

(p.s. Daughter later saw me, said “How did you get a bug in your mouth?”!!!)
    Last edited by Cecilia; 09-20-2023, 11:14 AM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Wow, glad you are okay. That sounds like you were dangerously close.
    Had an episode similar to that with poison ivy when I got it for the first time in my late thirties.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      I have young landscaper friend who was checking out the most jungle-y part of my yard, so I warned him lotsa poison ivy. He pooh-poohed, said never had bothered him in 5 yrs he’d been working. Well, well….that poor boy’s legs caught it big-time!

Ouch!So sorry Georgia 🐜🐜🐜 ‘s not friendly 😢🇺🇸.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

I’m sorry about your misfortune but glad you come out without severe problems.
      To help cheer you up a bit after your misfortune:
      when I was working I was mowing around one of our regulator stations. I thought I had gotten in briars that grew around our right of way but found out quickly that it was fire ants. Long painful story shortened a bit they ran me out of a perfectly good pair of blue jeans. I was standing In the middle of the paved road in my underwear slapping myself and stomping to get the ants off of me when a car with a lady and 3 young children rode by with everyone looking and laughing.

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! We must see the funny in the most dire circumstances in order to survive!

It’s good you were wearing underwear!
        Last edited by Cecilia; 09-20-2023, 01:17 PM.

man sorry to hear that. I'm glad your ok. definitely look in to epi - pen ..
      Utah

Comment

Oh no! Those ants are demons! Liquid Benadryl is best to keep on hand.
        South Carolina

Comment

No funny as you know. Many fire ants meeting when living in hill country of Austin TX.
          I was in golf business and playing one day hit it in the rough. Got over ball and figuring out my shot and was standing on an ant hill mound. Took me awhile for my leg to recover. I wish I could say I never hit the ball in the rough again
          Missouri

Comment

Went diggin today got home and had ticks from my ankles to my neck

Comment

great tip. ouch.

vfm

Comment

Working...
              X