Mountain Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Lions

Two brothers out shed hunting were attacked by a mountain lion one was killed the other is in the hospital. This was a local recreation area just a few miles from home hiking and biking horseback riding and off-road use. Personally, we have had major problems with livestock kills by mountain lions. It's been reported that we have the largest lion population in the state here on the Georgetown Divide. On the local chat pages everyone's game cameras are loaded with mountain lion photos. I think it time to open hunting to thin the population down they have lost their fear of man.

Hey Dennis, Sad to hear of another Lion attack. Animals are not afraid of man by instinct: Animals fear man because they are hunted. When predators lose their fear of man we become prey.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Mountain lions’ only job is to survive, they have to kill to accomplish that and they are very, very good at their job. When I first started working at the job that I retired from I tried to obey their rules but when I was surrounded by a pack of 7 dogs with nothing to protect myself but the company issued tiny pocket sized can of dog spray and the toe of my boot I decided that my protection was more important. I started carrying essential items to make sure that I returned home with my life and all or at least most of the body parts that I left with. This applied not only to work but but every time that I walk out of the house. Since my son was the victim of a home invasion (actually a burglary gone wrong) I have a pistol in every room of my house.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5785.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	724668 This picture was taken about 6 or 7 hundred yards from my house. Also MDWFP killed a 9’ alligator in the lake across the road from my house because the other side of the lake is in a city park.
      You are responsible for your safety so be prepared for animals with or without opposable thumbs.

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen to that

A notification from the Weather Channel just popped up on my phone and it was a short video and story about the attack. It said that the surviving brother, after several surgeries, should make a full recovery and the lion was caught and euthanized.

Comment

Lions got to eat. Life is not guaranteed nor should it be.
        Eyes not only on the ground looking for a shed. Specially in that area. I hope the world
        never gets rid of all its saber toothed life challenges. Try as it might.

Comment

This one was in Washington state a month ago.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            This was an amazing story I could not find the original article but these women saved their friend. Then they pinned the Lion down using a bicycle untle law enforcment arrived to dispatch the animal. Lions will grab you by the neck and head and crush with thier strong jaws til you quit breathing. Seems they have been getting aggresive all over the west coast.

We live in the country, no cougars here but plenty of critters. I remind myself, we moved into their neighborhood and continue to do so, not the other way around.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

What a terrible way to go. Thankfully the only cats around here are bobcats. Couldn't imagine more of a spooky scenario then getting stalked by a big cat.
            keep on keepin after

Comment

There was a young Chitonahua boy in a Peruvian village called San Pablo who was attacked by a jaguar. It bit him in the back of the head but dropped him after the boy’s mother threw her laundry at it. The boy was evacuated to Lima for a brain infection, and survived.

Seems like big cats often go for the head of their prey. I just finished reading The Man Eaters of Tsavo to my oldest son. It was a well written historical account of lion attacks during the construction of a railroad. The lions developed a preference for humans because of how salty we taste. 😬
              South Carolina

Comment

That’s so sad. When hiking in the northwest and Canadian Rockies, I was always worried about the cats, not the bears. We don’t have cougars/mountain lions in SC according to DNR but I saw one and my husband was with me and he saw it too. It crossed the road in front of us. Just a couple of months ago, one ran across a dirt road in front of my husband. He has no reason to make that up and he’s a hunter so I’m sure he saw what he said he saw. I called my friend who lives in that area to warn her and she said she had seen it many times. I wish we could catch one on the game camera.
                South Carolina

Comment

Tree'd this one a couple weeks ago. We started on a large tom track but there were so many that the dogs got off on this one... I tried to upload some video I shot but it wouldn't load...
                  Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                    Ron Kelley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Running cats and bear with hounds lets them know we are king of the forest. I sure miss my Plott Hounds but old age has ended that adventure for me.

This Lion Claw was a gift from Chad (Cskelton). This pendant is still one of my favorite projects. I used Milkweed Fiber, TX Root Beer, Rawhide, Deer Sinew, and of course Chad's Lion Claw. BTW I have eaten Mountain Lion and it was real good too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lion Pendant a.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	724820
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cskelton
                    Cskelton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll look around, pretty sure Ive got some more laying around... I went up this morning to check bulls. Didn't see any tracks.. went back up this afternoon to change batteries in a trail cam and there was an fresh set in the road and in my tracks from this morning. ... Never saw a track here until 96... Now it's weird if I don't see one every time I go up.
                Working...
                X