Polyphemus Moths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyphemus Moths

I saw Bone2stone's moth post, and thought of these pictures I took a couple of weeks back. Every year we get a pretty good flock of Polyphemus moths in our yard. I'm not sure if they come to breed or come to die, but they are pretty cool moths. This year I think we had about 15 or 20 of them over a period of a week or so. They always seem to land on the ground, I don't see their caterpillars, and our dog is scared of them.

Some of the color variation.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Cool pics! Those "eyes" on their wings are intended to frighten away predators. Very effective as you've noted with your dog.
    I'm partial to the Luna moths seen very rarely.
    Child of the tides

Comment

Those are beautiful. They look like a "smiling" face of sorts as well, with a sinuous mouth below the eyes. And their wings become big ears. Actually a good visage for Halloween!
      Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
        Those are beautiful. They look like a "smiling" face of sorts as well, with a sinuous mouth below the eyes. And their wings become big ears. Actually a good visage for Halloween!

I didn't think about that, but they are appropriate for Halloween.

Comment

They are really colorful little moths.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Beautiful! The adult moths don't live for more than a week. They don't have properly developed mouthparts to enable them to feed. The male spends that time looking for mates and the female spends most of that time laying eggs if it has managed to mate. That's a male in the first picture (the feathery antennae are larger). Caterpillars are yellow to greenish yellow and usually bristly, becoming bright lime green after their final moult.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Something in your yard attracts them. For them to come and mate there there must be something the caterpillars like to eat.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                Something in your yard attracts them. For them to come and mate there there must be something the caterpillars like to eat.
                Mostly birch, cherry, elm, hickory, maple, oak, pear, sassafras, walnut, willow and any tree of the citrus family (orange, lemon, lime etc).

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I think in Clovisoids case it must be the crabgrass, looks just like my yard!

Not sure if this is the same species? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0032.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	180666
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0029.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	180667
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Another beauty. They’re both saturniid moths from the Giant Silkworm Moth subfamily Saturniinae. Yours is the Cecropia silkmoth, Hyalophora cecropia. Clovisoids’s is Antheraea polyphemus. The caterpillars of both species feed on the same trees as mentioned above.

Incidentally, Jess's original "moth" picture that sparked these posts is in fact a butterfly and not a moth... although I couldn't identify it from the closed wing picture.

Last edited by painshill; 11-01-2015, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Clovisoid: Thanks for this post. And to the rest of the commenters, especially Painshill, a big thanks also. Because of the responses I think I just learned more about moths than I ever knew before.

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
                        Mostly birch, cherry, elm, hickory, maple, oak, pear, sassafras, walnut, willow and any tree of the citrus family (orange, lemon, lime etc).
                        We have oak, a couple of types of acacia & palms, and mango & citrus trees next door.

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
                          I think in Clovisoids case it must be the crabgrass, looks just like my yard!
                          When we moved here I thought it was crab grass and tried to control it, but it's what Floridians call St. Augustine Grass. (I'm pretty sure it's just a fancy name for a different type of crabgrass.)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                            Ron Kelley commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Probably more hardy than a lot of grasses. My yard is whatever was in the farm field plus some white clover that I seeded.

Nice to see we guys are not "Bugged" (pun intended) by the beauty of the winged creatures that have no feathers.
                          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                          Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
                          X