No announcement yet.

What is this?......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fisher cats are a really cool animal.....think of a ferret on steroids....4 feet long, very agile and can climb a tree in the blink of an eye.....their favorite food in my state are squirrels.....they don't stand a chance. The more northern fisher (Vermont/Maine/New Hampshire)eat porcupine, one of the few animals that can kill a porcupine as a matter of fact. Dark chocolate brown, cat like teeth and retractable claws....a big cat is around 15 pounds.
    The Fisher Cat is a marten related to the family of weasels and is only found in North America. The Fisher Cat is known for being a ferocious predator and the sounds of a fisher cat have become notorious because they are similar to a child or a woman crying for help. Fisher cats have … Continued

Southern Connecticut

Comment

Thanks Chris for the inside look at the wonderful work you and your wife are doing! We listened to that fisher cat. Haven't heard any around here. Better not, right :laugh: The one we called "shuteye" hasn't been by in about a week so I imagine he's in that big tree in the sky
      Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for the info and insight Chris. Have got to give you two credit, there is generally enough to do and keep a person occupied, but to take on the responsibility and care of so many wild animals and with such dedication, just good!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Good job chris, hey, I always thought the Marten family of critters were up north of us in NC. Last summer I saw a member of the Marten family crossing the road just at daylight here in Julian.Oh yeah, the NC Wildlife Department says there are no Cougars left in the mountains of NC.  :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:

Comment

Here's a quick update from the "farm".....my wife had taken the last couple of years off from this stuff but I knew it wouldn't last long......first Mr. Mink.....he wasn't very cooperative for pics.....he's doing quite well and I owe him an outdoor cage soon.

A couple of sleep coons.....they got here after a 60 foot fall from a tree which killed one sibling and momma when the tree came down.....

then my wife's (and daughter's) true love.....we have four, one in "ICU" with dehydration and possibly Perfringes.....a gram positive bacterial infection...fluids and meds for that little one.

This is what you get when I don't have pointy rocks to share......got skunked this morning!
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

Thanks for the update Chris. Great pics-I love those little critters.
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Got to give you folks credit, very nice what you do for the critters! Some good Karma there!
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Great thread cgode!  What a cool occupation, good for you both, and saving animals has to be very heart warming and personally rewarding.  I can see how it can  be hard letting go of them and having some not make it.  Interesting that the Fisher Cat can eat porcupines.  We only have one predator that can do that here, and that's the mountain lion.  My buddy is a guide and my brothers and I have all killed big cats.  During the hunting season (Dec. thru March) the lions rely heavily on eating porcupines.  They are slow moving, easy to spot, and have zero defense against a big cat.  All the lions I've seen killed here had been stripped of their fur on the insides of the front legs, and they all have quills in their faces.  They flip them over with their paws, then they have to lick their legs until they get rid of the quills.

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Got to give you folks credit, very nice what you do for the critters! Some good Karma there!
                      I agree wholeheartedly and can't imagine many activities so rewarding as helping the creatures this way. It's a beautiful thing.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks Tyson, I can't imagine dealing with big cats like that but the rumours here have been flying around that they are actual;ly here from multiple sightings over the years......our DEP has always said it's been mistaken identity and folks had actually seen a bobcat......come on now, they look NOTHING alike!......the DEP was able to stifle any accounts over the years ....... until......a mountain lion was killed on the road....that one they haven't been able to explain away despite their initial attempt to say it was a pet!...no one bought into that one.
                      Charlie, thanks....you get yourself up to the point of taking a ride and you and Helen can help with a bottle feeding!....they are wayyy kewl!
                      Southern Connecticut

Comment

nothin cuter than mother natures babies, you're wife's an angel! The little mink got a name yet? he's a cutie and looks like he's full of mischief

Comment

flintmel wrote:

nothin cuter than mother natures babies, you're wife's an angel! The little mink got a name yet? he's a cutie and looks like he's full of mischief
                            No name for the mink Mel.....we just call him "mink".....and yes.....he certainly is a very high energy creature full of mischief....and he's lightning fast!
                          Southern Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                          X