Piebald Red Squirrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piebald Red Squirrel

We live half mile off the end of a dead end road. We see lots of wildlife: Wolves, Bobcats, Bear, and on one occasion a moose. One of the most unusual animals we ever had here was a piebald red squirrel.

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Cool! Have never seen one like that. Have grey, red and black, but no Piebald.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I put the feeders up on steel poles. The inverted bucket keeps the squirrels off but the bear have no problem climbing a steel pole.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Now that is one nifty squirrel!
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Great pictures!
          How often do you see bears?  Cool things to see, but I'm not sure I'd want to see one while walking down to get the Sunday paper.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I love to hear the Sandhill Crane. A pair nest nearby and are here looking for corn every day until it turns cold.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Cool looking squirrel, Ron. Never heard of them before. At the moment,  we've got 3 grey squirrels knocking at our back door. They jump, boom, hit the door. Meaning, can I please have a walnut this morning?
              Rhode Island

Comment

clovisoid wrote:

Great pictures!
                How often do you see bears?  Cool things to see, but I'm not sure I'd want to see one while walking down to get the Sunday paper.
                We see bear lots. They never give us a scare but the wolf packs are something to watch out for.
                Michigan Yooper

Comment

This is what spurs were made for. I have a trail cam set up on one of the feeders. Sometimes the camera shoots at just the right moment.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Sometimes they come in with a girlfriend and sometimes she comes in with the results.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

your a lucky guy mr. kelly, i wish i lived so close to such a beautiful and  bountiful enviroment, instead i live in a half burned down old mill town!
                      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

We moved here in 76. It's only ten miles from town but we are far enough out to enjoy the wildlife.
                        I deleted this and resubmitted with a smaller picture.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Nice photos Ron! Interesting the way the squirrel has 'belted' colors as opposed to being splotched. I saw an 8 point piebald buck a few years ago that was 95% white. It was winter with some snow around, and I was driving by a house where he was standing in middle of someone's front yard - I thought he was a lawn ornament until he started walking  :woohoo: . I stopped the car and watched as six doe came out of the woods and sauntered away with him.
                          If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Olden wrote:

Nice photos Ron! Interesting the way the squirrel has 'belted' colors as opposed to being splotched. I saw an 8 point piebald buck a few years ago that was 95% white. It was winter with some snow around, and I was driving by a house where he was standing in middle of someone's front yard - I thought he was a lawn ornament until he started walking  :woohoo: . I stopped the car and watched as six doe came out of the woods and sauntered away with him.
                            We fed a piebald deer one winter. It was a fawn from that spring but he didn't come back the next year. That one only had a few small dark spots.
                            Michigan Yooper

Comment

There should be a law against hunting a piebald deer.
                              My brother lives in College Park, MD. - half of the grey squirrels in his neighborhood are a handsome black mutation.

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Working...
                              X