MOTM for Aug 2017 Metacom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOTM for Aug 2017 Metacom

These months just fly by. It's hard to believe it, but we get to introduce our newest MOTM! Mark has been very active, and I for one enjoy reading his posts. We all appreciate everyone's contributions, and Mark has done his share. Thanks Mark. Please welcome METACOM as MOTOM for Aug 2017!

Hey guys, it looks like I've been chosen as member of the month and I think that's pretty awesome! I've learned so much from the people here that I don't know what I'd do without this resource. There is definitely a no nonsense approach here that I have come to appreciate. It's a pleasure to be a part of this forum.

I grew up around the Taunton River in Massachusetts, and for most of that time I was oblivious to the ancient past of the River. It was just something that had never crossed my mind. I was always very much into music, playing bass, guitar, and the piano. I also like to draw from time to time (I'll include a couple random samples). Aside from all that,
    I am the average geek, I like movies, comic books, video games, and don't get me started on Star Wars. I have always had an interest in items from the past, like an old blade, an old rifle or coin, anything of the sort will get my attention.

Not too long ago an old friend of mine had gotten me into metal detecting, and I began to do it quite often. It was this same friend who around that time had begun a quest to find his first arrowhead. He had a metal detecting buddy who had hundreds of them he would tell me, but the guy kept his secret of where to find them under lock and key. I
    was absolutely fascinated by this. Whenever I heard of people hunting artifacts, they were always far away from New England. I didn't think point hunting was even possible around here these days. I became determined to figure out how to find a point myself. Once my research began, the river I grew up around looked like a whole different place to
    me. I eventually found my very first point (pictured) along this same river. My friends quest had become my quest, and it took on a life of its own. My collection grows faster than I can frame it. The friend moved away a few years ago, but I'm still sloshing through the mud, looking for points.

Thanks to everyone on this site for all their help!

These pics are of Mark's first point, and a couple of his drawings
    Click image for larger version  Name:	mark4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	258237

Last edited by Hoss; 08-01-2017, 08:49 AM.
    South Dakota

Click image for larger version

Name:	mark1.png
Views:	119
Size:	787.7 KB
ID:	258240
    South Dakota

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mark2.png
Views:	123
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	258242
      South Dakota

Comment

Hey Mark - Congratulations on MOTM. Like Gary - I too enjoy your posts and look forward to seeing more of them. You have many interests and I'm sure many of us would enjoy it if you shared some of them with us. Like your art work and collections of old things. Share em with us.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Congrats Mark, well deserved.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Congrats !!! Well deserved !!!
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

Wow talented artist too! Hey congrats man well deserved.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Congratulations Mark! Well deserved honor! I'm glad you are here with us! Thanks for all you contribute to this forum!
                Nice drawings btw! I've always wanted to play the bass, sounds like your one of those people who can play everything.
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                  Wow talented artist too! Hey congrats man well deserved.
                  Second that for sure !!!!
                  As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                  NW Arkansas

Comment

Congrats, Mark. Well deserved. It's been a pleasure the few times we've hunted together, and I hope we do so again sometime. Had no idea you were so talented artistically! Always enjoy your posts and helping you out with your questions.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
                      -=METACOM=- commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Always cool to hunt with ya man. Me and Matt still have some spots to show you, this fall would be a good time for it.

Congrats on the MOTM Mark, it is well deserved.

Thank you for sharing your art work and teasing me with metal detecting.
                    Please share some of your detecting finds. I love a good drool.
                    Bruce
                    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

WOW! You are indeed a talented artist & if I'm not mistaken, your Bride of Frankenstein reflects some of your interests. The dog is awesome!
                      I always enjoy your posts & look forward to many more. Congrats MOTM club!!
                      Child of the tides

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
                        -=METACOM=- commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That it does, and thanks!

Hey Mark, I always enjoy reading your posts. Congrats MOTM
                      Michigan Yooper
                      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Congratulations Mark! Well deserved and the artwork is awesome.
                        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Man, I wish I had a good collection from my metal detecting days, but really I would mostly pull up clad and old rusty things. I have some cool buttons, some indian heads, random farm trash. A gold ring was my best find I'd say. Mostly it was my friend always pulling up silver and me pulling up rust. One thing that was interesting though, I found half of an old 1800's brooch and when I posted it online, another person on the forum had the other half from hunting the same spot years earlier.

But yea, once I got into the point hunting, I found it hard to devote treasure hunting time to anything else. I seemed to have a lot more luck with points.

I'll see if I can get a couple more pictures up here. Most up my stuff is packed up at the moment but I might have some pics somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                          X