This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dallred wrote:

Would love to see pic of your tiny 1/4 inch long point with good size reference.  The white one you showed is awesome, but could not tell size, as I couldn't recognize size reference.  Thanks!
    D
      Sorry about the reference size on the white one, but it is the size of a dime. Going to be a while on getting a pic of the 1/4" point, it is in a gun vault in Colorado with the majority of my collection. Most of what I have posted are recent finds.
    Chase
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

The smallest points I find in the areas I hunt are triangular types known as Hillsboro and Clarksville, late prehistoric and historic in age. They are typically about the size of dime or a bit larger.

I collect micropoints from around the country, here's some tiny examples from the PNW and Southwest.

Comment

I like that Ryan, Three for a Quarter!
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Panaggie. very nice point, and super small.  Thanks for pic!
          So, I wonder what lower limit is to size of points.  Is there a standard measurement system for arrow heads/atlatl dart points?  I measured some of my complete micro points by taking the length plus the width in millimeters, and came out with a range of 25 to 31 millimeters.  I had one that was a bit rough and measured 22, but I believe may have a nick on tip, which may add 1 mm, so would be 23, if complete.
          Would be fun to have folks measure their micro points and see what lower limit is!  I would be willing to offer a prize for the smallest documented point! However, bragging rights should be sufficient for most of us, as some may not be brave enough to provide a mailing address for prize.  lol
          D
          In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. -John Muir

Comment

Wow!  Incredible collection of micro points!  I'm almost ashamed to show my pitiful micros compared to yours...  Thanks a million for awesome pics!

Comment

Martin:
              Wow, you too have an awesome collection of micros!  Again, mine is pitiful in comparison -imagine my embarrassment (lol).
              What is the coin size reference - an old dime?  Also, would like to see a size reference with the other bird points, as I'm interested in the lower size limit for micros.  Thanks!
              D

Comment

Painshill:
                Thanks a million for the interesting information and awesome video!  I learned something new on cultural aspects of these ancient hunters.  What I have read about Calapooyan indian hunting methods for big game, indicated they used snares and clubs on black tail deer in Willamette Valley, Oregon, but I'm sure those micro points on an arrow with bow, or dart and atlatl would kill a deer, elk, or bear if shot placement was on heart, lung, liver or other vital.  Thanks!
                D

Comment

South Fork
                  Beautiful bird point - love the material.  Puts mine to shame...  I need to get a giant magnifying glass and scour the fields more closely to be in the same class as you guys! lol  Thanks!
                  D

Comment

Thanks Darin. Yeah it is a 1906 Barber dime I found last year on a site. Ray

Comment

No one took the suggestion to find the smallest point known to mankind, by measuring the length plus width in millimeters to win a prize???  Prize is a large natural nodule or lump of obsidian, kinda like a lump of coal... Lol

Comment

Sweet find on the 1906 dime, and cool reference object!!  An associate of mine found a 1910 dime on my previous research station in Sanger, California ( near Fresno) in 1997, but I don't have photo...

Comment

Thanks Darin. I have found a few old coins, mostly Indian Head pennies.

Comment

My contribution to the "Micro"
                            I had posted in another thread and was asked to
                            place it here.
                            Although small I am sure it did not start out that way.
                            Whittled down to a knubb.
                            Scallorn

It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                            Circa:1982

Comment

Some small points from the pacific north west .

Comment

Interesting pic Dennis. Some beautiful pieces there.

Comment

Working...
                                X