This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Fork
    Dang, that is an amazing collection from PNW!  The diversity of agate points is awesome!  Wow, what a creative way to display!  How did you do that?  Are those beads?  I have found 2 whole beads, and one partial.  Unfortunately, I lost one bead when I left in pocket and pants got washed - they were tiny- 3 mm.  A friend found a sweet blue bead about 1/4 inch in diameter.  Thanks for beautiful pics - you made my day, and got me fired up to hunt - but doldrums of summer, with crop cover , and no cultivation and rain for months-ugh...
    D
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. -John Muir

Comment

South Fork
      I forgot to ask if you would please measure your smallest point -length plus width in mm.  I'm interested in lower limit for size of points.  Thanks a million!
      D

Comment

Here is my smallest

Comment

Ryan, that is a sweet little stemmed point!  Do you know what material it is made of?  Also, what is length plus width in mm?  It looks to be on smallest end of size limit!  I have one 25 mm...  Thanks for pic!

Comment

It is made of obsidian I also have another small one that is also made of obsidian I'll take better pictures of both and see what the side is

Comment

these are my two small ones
              the smaller of the two is about 12mm long and 8mm wide so a total of 20mm?

Comment

Some nice stuff going up on this thread Dallred. I love the obsidian points you're finding - not much chance of me finding any of that in MD. The video posted by painshill showed that these small points really pack a punch! I read that the Yahi Indian Ishi, normally hunted with small points, but used larger points for war: I'm thinking  that may have been for intimidation of his enemys at a distance as much as anything - same would go for larger spearheads or lance points. Amazonian Natives have a way of spinning their bodies to reduce penetration when they're fighting (hopefully they're turning in the right direction), but I guess that's another thread. Great display South Fork: hard to beat points flying through the air and showing off their translucent properties at the same time! Dan White is a modern knapper (and fellow Marylander)who used to display some of his micro work on the old Pro's forum - his entire collection would fit on the head of a single pin (ok., I'm exaggeratin' a little bit), but for those of you who haven't seen his work yet, here's the link ~

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Ryan
                  That is a super small point, and at the smallest size limit of ancient knappers!  I have one 22 mm, but may have a nick off tip...
                  Bone 2 stone has one real small too - see above.  Thanks!
                  D

Comment

Here are some more small ones

Comment

PointBlank, those are some little beauties!  What State in Great Basin? Would you please measure your smallest - length plus width in mm?  I'm trying to establish smallest size limit to points.  Thanks!
                      Darin

Comment

Thanks....From Nevada and Eastern California. Here is a picture of my smallest one. It is 9mm long by 7mm wide.

Comment

Nice "bird" finds.Here is couple of my smaller point   

Comment

Dean
                            That is an awesome nano point!  I really like that one alot, as is a unique style!  A 16 mm - that is the smallest one so far!  You are leading the contest to win a large lump of obsidian! lol, but you already have one...  Thanks!
                            D

Comment

Bump: Micro from Eastern Tennessee

Michigan Yooper
                              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

They did make them small over here in East TN. Tha's for sure.
                                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                                X