Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effigy? Scribed? Ancient artwork? Do you see what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brandon
    Your rock is a rock, the item posted is resin from a tree that melted in a fire and took on the apperance shown.
    If the resin is left alone long enogh under the right conditions it will fossilize into amber. Amber is fossilized tree resin (not sap), which has been appreciated for its color and natural organic beauty for thousands of years.
    Jack

Comment

Brandon,
      (It is most likely what Jack said. Resin, not expected, unusual, not in the context I expected it.)
      That is what I wrote before I went out to the garage for a smoke. Decided to light it again and took a good whiff, smells like ASPHALT. Again not what I expected, but much more likely. So nothing extremely out of the ordinary, nothing mystical, no mastadons crossing a mountain while a monkey watches from under a tree while a multi boobed woman looks on, no cryptic message; not used by ancient man to haft spearpoints and arrowheads ( darn it! ). Just a couple of chunks of asphalt. Someday maybe, I'll find that special rock or groups of rock that I can place to make a bendover fertility idol, maybe, someday.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Ok.... from most of the information I'm reading here...your rocks are something that have been subjected to high heat at one time and as so were melted and then took on the  shape they now possess....soooo maybe they are the earthly remains of what was left from their campfire? hmmm..wonder why they smell like asphalt????

Comment

I think you have got it Jane. I was hoping they may be left over from a camp and hoping they might have been resin used for hafting. Asphalt? Maybe came from some farm equipment, maybe used by a farmer a hundred years ago for something????

Comment

Greg
            LMAO. That is funny.
            Jack

Comment

Hey Jack.. what's so funny? It makes perfect sense to us.  :blink:
              jane

Comment

Do they stick to a strong magnet?

Comment

Since were on the subject of magnets....I have what I call a "diggie tool" for lack of a better name. Although one time the sherrif called it a weapon and asked me to throw down my weapon!....(can you believe that) when we got run out of a field that we had permission to look in but  unknowingly to us this field had been sold over the winter.
                  It has a long telescoping handle, so I don't have to bend over to turn over every piece of rock or poke at a leaf that looks way too much like a arrowhead. It has a hoe like blade on one end and on the back of this is a little 3 prong pitchfork like tool. Works just perfect when it come to looking for arrowheads.
                  Anyway on the bottom of the hoe part, I stuck one of those super strong earth magnets (don't have to glue it on, it's so strong it's not going anywhere) and you would not believe the rocks/meteorites it has picked up. I have a large ziplock baggie just cram full of my so called meteorites!
                  Hey who knows...I just very well might have one of those thousand dollar rocks in there.
                    jane :silly:

Comment

Greg the run on the reference to past effigies was phenominal, LMAO. Great work.-Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill, the effigy run has been interesting to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                      X