No announcement yet.

axe head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing find. Nice hardstone for sure...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Great story and super find. Anyone have any idea as to how old it is? Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        Middle Archaic seems to be the time frame usually referenced. Full grooved axes seem to be the oldest appearing around 5000 bc (7000 years old), 3/4 grooved somewhere later around 2000 bc (4000 years old) and then celts and ungrooved adzes started showing up around 3000 bc (5000 years old) and were used almost everywhere in North & South America by 2000 bc (4000 years old) through contact.

Cebceb,

How close are you to Greene County? I used to own a very similar axe from there,

It looks like you have a great little Slant groove axe with a median ridge in the groove. I can't remember who I was talking with, but I think he said that style was usually found in the Raccoon River watershed (between the north & south Raccoon Rivers.)

The ridge in the groove might have been for hafting, but there are a lot of details on Iowa axes that are just about the flare.

Originally it probably had better polish, the outside looks a bit crusty, but still a really nice find.

Joshua
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
      X