No announcement yet.

"snapped stem"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the print it did say a fractured base...but the headlines didnt put it that way. After all who reads the fine print unless it looks like the one you are looking for.

Comment

I have many of these "snapped base" points. I'm pretty sure the corner notch points that have the snapped base are just broken points, but there are others I'm not so sure about. You can argue the case from either side, but one thing's for sure, there still pretty dern cool.

Comment

I was just looking at one today and the base is maybe 1/4 long and the point is 3 in long. That isnt a very large stem and it isnt broken. I will have to say this is a fast growing conversation. It just started about 3 hours ago. But now I have to go to bed. I will look tomorrow night when I get home..maybe

Comment

snapped base/stem kirk = broken at the haft/weak spot IMHOP, too.    I have some points that have the bases reworked but not sure if it was before hafting during the initial manufacture or reworked after a base-snap....will have to check on that someday.   A few were reworked into hand knives.  But not a type.
          We find "snap base" archaic stemmed points (points with broken stems), though Kirks were made for a loooong time.

Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Now THAT'S  funny!!!

Comment

I thought that was supposed to be corrected in this one? Glenn..Grab a steak knife and start cranking on it. Were is it gonna break?! The weakest spot is were the blade goes into the handle! Same thing with this ancient knife.

Comment

I am looking to buy a bridge can anyone help me out? Maybe the guy who came up with the Snapped Base theory already sold out of Brooklyn bridges!
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ive seen in Overstreet the "snapped base" points and couldnt imagine the ancients intentionally breaking a finished product./. For what advantage. My opinion: snapped base= broken point, period. I mean, it is snapped at the weakest area. To me, it would seem that is just normal wear and tear on the tool I would imagine the one who advocates snapped base as a class/type was a wishful dreamer. I have PLENTY of broke points. Out of desperation, I will try top convince people that they were "made that way" :blink:  :unsure: Snapped Base as a type???   :laugh:  :laugh:

Comment

It has always amused me when I have seen the term "intentionally snapped" used. How could anyone retrospectively determine if these breaks were intentional? It's not a recognisable feature in the same territory as intentional flaking. Although widely used by vendors (especially on fleabay), I have never seen the term used (including the word "intentional") in any archaeological reference book or paper by anyone of repute.
                    The base may not actually be the weakest point, but it is normally the part subjected to the greatest stress from leverage.
                    I could accept (in principle) intentional snapping as a means to even up an irregular breakage at the base so that the point could be salvaged for use in some other way...... BUT those that I have seen look doubtful even on this basis.
                    Painshill
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

ok, the very frist snaped base point i found is about 1 1/2 " (newnan, like) whats is left of the base is a fat 3/8's, i didn't have any books to look in hadn't ever seen one yet, the site is a quarry site where they were making them so i feel it was made there, fresh water so good camp site to not much pottery anyway back to the point

Comment

I had the exact same thoughts as everyone else did. I did not know that it was also a type in the 12th edition OS, I have a 4th edition and "assumed" that it might have been removed in the 12th due to unproven data. Good to know common sense prevails among us!! Why in the WORLD would a base be purposely removed?!? Thanks for all the input! Itwasluck, I found the two on top and the bottom one, the three in the middle belonged to my grandfather! ONE MORE THING.... what would yall call them? Kirks? Happy hunting!!!!

Comment

THREAD HIJACK!!! :laugh:    Atypical bases.  Sometimes the work was sufficient for the job or was reworked before or after manufacture/use.  None of these are "normal" bases for they types.  You used what you got sometimes.

He tried to thin the base of this one and gave up, probably continued to use it as is.

Professor Shellman
                          Tampa Bay

Comment

I have found knifes with the base flat across even not broke at all and then the blade sharp all the way to the tip but not on the base. I would of thought that is called a snapped base knife. Its shaped like a triangle. What is the proper name for it? Its made out of quartz material. I cant take a pic of it cause it is on another site for sale. $18.00 if anyone wants it  .

Comment

They snapped based points I find here in south central ihio are usually always beveled
                              “Turn Rocks”. https://youtube.com/channel/UCtlGNDghAQMaPw9ov8HEhiw

Comment

Working...
                              X