No announcement yet.

Selling a collection....have a cross???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with what our other members have written.  B2S stated it rather well.
    Just another post that relates to what I am always harping on and will continue to harp on because I love my hobby and collections.  I will get onto it every time it rears it's head.  I do it for the hobby and guys like Jim.
    Repros and knapping art should be permanently marked or broken.  Buyer beware and sellers of such, well...

What a shame to have any real artifacts in with such schmeg.
    Fresh chippin, rechipped "points".  Fantasy.  Even newbies can see fresh chipping and breaks in patina, if you really look at them with a critical eye and not blindly accept...and take advice from knowledgeable members here.
    Gotta be hard to learn such a lesson at 70 after having them for so many years.  I learned the same lesson when I was in my 20's.  Only had to learn once...... and I listened to my "elders" in the hobby.  Now I'm the expert like those who have commented in this thread.  I DO take it personally when my help and advice is not taken, but it's not my loss.  It's a loss to the hobby.
    What I'd really like to see is what was in those 5 gallon buckets! :woohoo:
    Jim, more advice.  Get your family's stuff out of the museum now. (Bet you cannot!) That's what archaeologists do real well, "archiving".  What's archived is NOT being enjoyed or celebrated.
    Where's the "Shaman" site?  I feel a need to get banned.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

I am a simply a man who lost his wife and older son over the past 12 months. I inherited this collection and I don't have room for it. It was given to my son by his grandfather, John Dye (Touched by an Angel) and when he passed away, my wife got it back. She recently passed and I am sorting through 2 estates and trying to find homes for special items.
      For the record, I don't take too kindly to being called stupid. It's ashamed you have become so jaded to people who are honestly looking for help. You might find most are on here trying to peddle fakes but that was certainly not my intention. There might be some people who have something you might really want to see but your attitude towards them will definitely scare them away before you ever get your eyes on those old thunderbirds.
      I thought when I came onto this site I could find some answers about my items. Now, I am looking for someone who can separate the good ones from the bad. I wanted answers and I received them. What I don't need is someone looking to attack me because I have a collection that I know nothing about. It will be taken to the LA archaeology society to be examined. They may laugh, but at least I will know what's good and what's not.
      So thanks, but no thanks, for your time.
      Jim C. Dye

Comment

Hi tom,
        The Amory Regional Museum has had it for many many years. After my experience here, I don't think I'll turn into a collector any time soon.
        Have a good day,
        Jim C. Dye

Comment

JimCDye wrote:

I am a simply a man who lost his wife and older son over the past 12 months. I inherited this collection and I don't have room for it. It was given to my son by his grandfather, John Dye (Touched by an Angel) and when he passed away, my wife got it back. She recently passed and I am sorting through 2 estates and trying to find homes for special items.
          For the record, I don't take too kindly to being called stupid. It's ashamed you have become so jaded to people who are honestly looking for help. You might find most are on here trying to peddle fakes but that was certainly not my intention. There might be some people who have something you might really want to see but your attitude towards them will definitely scare them away before you ever get your eyes on those old thunderbirds.
          I thought when I came onto this site I could find some answers about my items. Now, I am looking for someone who can separate the good ones from the bad. I wanted answers and I received them. What I don't need is someone looking to attack me because I have a collection that I know nothing about. It will be taken to the LA archaeology society to be examined. They may laugh, but at least I will know what's good and what's not.
          So thanks, but no thanks, for your time.
          Jim C. Dye
            Sorry about the misunderstanding about the Shaman site being stupid after all I did say that saying it would be degrading. If you were to find that site you would see just some rocks stacked with a History" of the magical stones...... :laugh:
          I have seen a lot of the Thunderbirds and have yet to see an authentic artifact in any of them.
          When people come to us for answers and we tell them like it is, some actually accept the opinions. We give them to all freely. Others get defensive and sometimes to the point of getting rude or abusive this would be grounds for the administrator to remove their IP address and remove a certain post that led to the member being omitted.
          We are not out to scare off perspective collectors.
          If people want us to say oohh  ahhh over some rocks or reproductions well you see the respones.
          There are a lot of people who are not collectors that have a collection of sorts.
          Some will keep them and pass them down to future generations. Some will try and sell them. This is your apparent position. If you do take them to an archeological dept at any respectable university, keep what we said in mind.
          We have faith in our input and will continue to do so because there are a lot of others out there that are waiting for their first arrowhead.
          When they do show it here we will let them know if they are on the right track.(Honest opinions)
          I am not an administrator, I am only a forum member here trying to help so if you do have the collection seperated by an authenticator, come back and we will help. That is if you have not gotten the answers you seek.
          Collectors I know and have known had the want for many years before they even began to accumulate what they would call a collection. You not becomming a collector would probably never happen anyway, after all you are trying to sell them.
          You personally did not get out and activily persue this hobby with a passion. A passion that has led some too far and they died in their persuit of expanding their collection and their understanding of this fasinating hobby.
          If you feel I am jaded well that's OK. I won't tell any sad stories we all have them.
          I will not post anymore to this thread, I have put my point across.
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

He said thunderbirds

Comment

Once again, I'll advise to check out another forum on www.treasurenet.com  where, when you get to the forum (that sounds like a joke...) plug in the words 'thunderbird effigie' in the search box in the upper right.  That will bring you to a page with three or four threads on this topic.  There's an education there. I'll only repeat a little bit of it here.  If they're bone, they have a chance of being authentic.  But if not, there's a 99.9999999% chance they're not real.  People- even back in the late 1800's faked them and sold them.  I'll bet some were 'salted' in areas often searched for artifacts- just to prank the seekers. Let us know what you find out- because in all honesty, if those are real, I'll eat my shoe.  That's how rare they are.  And on top of that, no authenticator will actually 'paper' them because it's too hard to be absolutely sure- and they are not documented as a solid, 'no doubt about it' artifact. That said- good luck and PLEASE come back and let us know.   Riverwalker

Comment

Even i thot what ever1 else is saying when i 1st saw them, and i dont know crap!

Comment

Working...
                X