No announcement yet.

Question about flaking techniques.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Mark, for your comments. I don't have any either thats why I posted thanks for your posts. Good nite to all. Been fun!Joeroy!

Comment

Nice spoon flipper! I do believe you have a "hawks" eye.A friend of mine found a lance like this also besides it was a black color, it to also had basal damage. we always called it "daltonish". Its beautiful by the way.

Comment

Man, that is SWEET! Looks like oblique transverse to me.
        As my departed friend Doc Rankin told me " I'd be digging a hole 10 foot deep until I found the rest of that beauty", LOL.

Comment

Not only is that a historic find, but now I know a little more about flaking. I agree with Cliff Joe, start the pit!!!

Comment

Thanks guys for your comments, I learned from this post as I always do with everybodys opinions. Cliff would love to dig that spot but as we speak there is about two feet of water over that spot and running fast. Ill go this week again maybe the other half will be there waiting! :cheer:

Comment

Here's a graphic representation that I done some years back that should help explain some of the different flaking techniques and terminology. -  Matt
              Flint reduction primer

Comment

Thanks Matt, but I already got that on my favorites and do refer to it all the time. I have told my friends to do so also, very good stuff. I guess you do agree with Cliff on this points flaking? If not what do you think, joe?

Comment

Joe, it doesn't appear transverse, just oblique parallel.  For it to the transverse, the flakes would have to travel the complete face of the blade (tranverse it).  Outre Passe is an example of transverse flaking.  It appears like your flakes all meet in the middle. 
                     Oblique = direction of travel (angled)
                    parallel = sequence of flake positioning (same approx. size in sequence)
                    transverse = distance of flake travel. (completely travels the face from one direction)

Comment

Thanks Matt, just looks like some do transverse complete face of blade. Can see all do not. Will bring with me on my visit to arkansas, thanks much joe! Maybe Ill have the other half by then hmy:

Comment

excellent info Matt, thanks.

Comment

Matt, Outre Passe? Point type? Mark.

Comment

Working...
                        X