No announcement yet.

Some finds from Lincolnshire, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that's a petit-tranchet. It doesn't look right and I've never seen one with full cortex on one side. I don't think it's an artefact at all, except insofar as it might be a reduction flake, What you are describing as 'retouch' looks to me to be natural breakage on a thin edge.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
      I don't think that's a petit-tranchet. It doesn't look right and I've never seen one with full cortex on one side. I don't think it's an artefact at all, except insofar as it might be a reduction flake, What you are describing as 'retouch' looks to me to be natural breakage on a thin edge.
      Many thanks for the assessment which is appreciated and valued. So it's not a petit tranchet which is a tad disappointing, but I think it's a tool of some sort as the sharp end looks retouched rather than broken to me. I have the benefit of being able to see it through a 10x glass which of course helps somewhat. It's very difficult to pick up the nibbly nature of the leading edge on my phone camera, but hopefully I've more or less captured it here. Perhaps it's a small scraper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211022_113959.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	594930

Comment

We shall enjoy you, General!
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Originally posted by Cecilia View Post
          We shall enjoy you, General!
          Thanks! I'll try to post some more stuff when I have a moment, eg how I think the classic early Neolithic leaf-shaped arrowheads like these, so common round here, were made and why there are so many of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211010_183903.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	595777Click image for larger version

Name:	20211010_183913.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	595776

Comment

No matter what, this is a great thread. I must say that the General is probably the only one of us that has found and recognized these points / tools. Let's face it folks, I never found anything like these and most if not all haven't found them either.. We've all found similar things here in the US. but these aren't from the US. Great show General, Great discussion all, Thank you. Kim
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Is the orange leaf shape one with the nice edges, agate? I got the general time frame from a quick look up, are these associated with any particular Neolithic monuments?

Comment

change in patina looks like recent damage on it..
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
                X