Weird for our area lithic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird for our area lithic?

Or mebbe just not as common as our typical rhyolite. Found it out doing other things this last week. Been doing more bushcraft than rock kickin lately. It's pretty wet and the cutovers are MUDDY.
    But always end up lookin down for a bit sooner or later.
    Found on a plateau not far from the junction of a coupla rivers. Also found a coupla other pieces of the usual stuff in the same AO.
    Looks more greenish in realtime with some serious crust.
    Any ideas what it may be? d:^)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	OneNaHalfLithic2.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	523817Click image for larger version

Name:	OneNaHalfLithic.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	523818
    Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

I find a lot of green and blue rhyolite in my area. I looks like what you have posted.
    South Carolina

Comment

• HawgBonz
      HawgBonz commented
      Editing a comment
      Most of it I find here has white specks innit. It can be blue, black, greenish and striped. But almost all has the white specks.

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      There's some here with specs but only a small amount and it's more of a tan or brown color. I have LOTS of raw rhyolite on my land. The pieces I find that resemble your pics are very smooth under the cortex. But my absolute favorite is banded rhyolite.

• HawgBonz
      HawgBonz commented
      Editing a comment
      I find a lot of the banded rhyolite. It's a nice lithic. Most common here is the blue-ish white specked rhyolite
      But those "slick" lithics get my goat. Obsidian and such. Nice stuff!
      I've found very few made of this green stuff.. d:^)

Good information in this thread. A former member describes it as Green silicified siltstone. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...olina-rhyolite
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• HawgBonz
      HawgBonz commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll check it out.. Thanks.. d:^)

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
    Good information in this thread. A former member describes it as Green silicified siltstone. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...olina-rhyolite
    The old thread Hoss posted was written before most of us understood the difference between rhyolite and felsite, and the thread contains errors where understanding rhyolite and felsite is concerned. In this thread, Roger explains the difference. Basically, felsite is simply a field term, used before analysis can determine whether the rock is actually a rhyolite or an andesite.:

Can anyone explain these to me and tell me what's what? Is it rhyolite? Is it felsite? Example pics would be awesome too. How many different types of this rock
    Rhode Island

Comment

• HawgBonz
      HawgBonz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your response.
      I may hafta go with "interesting-to-me rock" on this one and several others.. The plethora of information and possibilities available is overwhelming to the layman. Between the floorboard of the truck and some boxes in the house the place is littered with samples. Mostly just appreciated as "pretty" or "unusual" rocks. Mebbe one-of-these-days I'll trip over a local rock hound. d;^)

Click image for larger version  Name:	D30376E4-08EB-4E2B-BCE9-23A3C0C1F1A7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	146.5 KB ID:	536613 Hi,

I have a few rhyolite points that have a blue tint to them. Here’s a picture of one I found in Davidson County.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Von; 02-28-2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Here’s a few more of a smaller point found in the same field. I have few more in my collection. The material you found seems to be a brighter more intense blue but I suspect it’s rhyolite.

Von
      Last edited by Von; 02-28-2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Love this thread had no idea . Thanks people .

Comment

Working...
        X