No announcement yet.

my oldest stuff....so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks again charlie,i always look foward to yer advice and input,as far as im concerned, your our regional authority  and im pretty sure i do have some (broken) nevilles

call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

o.k. bear with me, but im pretty sure this IS a dalton,i shown it to you once in person but it was in that sealed frame and only for a quick moment,and ive put it up on here before,you did tell me you thought it was a squibnocket, but all the squibs i know of are white quartz and dont have ground bases,this ones good an waterworn too,and missing just the very tips of the ears
      i really think its one of these

just waterworn,when i show'd it to jeff (jmatt) he goes "wow,is that one of them daltons?!"i said "man,thats what i thought!"we both looked it over and compaired it to his and the page he recieved of the new boudreau book that you's guy's points are in. its also made of quartzite and has a very ground base between the ears

Comment

it also resembles this one
        its hard to get good lighting

Comment

You've posted several of those squibknockets before and that point doesn't look like one to me. It does look to be very similar to a Dalton. Thanks John.

Comment

NOTHING IS OVER!...NOTHING! heres a clip of me in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ui9TwNrNEw

Comment

thats also how i hunt deer 

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

it also resembles this one
                its hard to get good lighting
                  Yeah, the one you are comparing it to was found by Helen years ago. I cannot say in the case of your point. Both confirmed "New England Hardaway-Dalton's" we have are strongly serrated or erose. Here is a photo of a quartz example that Jeff Boudreau ID'd as the New England variety of same, but do not expect them to too closely resemble their name sakes from the Mid Atlantic. Also, note the flute-like thinning on this quartz piece, as well as the extreme concavity of the base, outside the range of other triangles from here. As they get resharpened, they can assume the shape of a narrow steeple shaped point.

P

And here's that quartzite example from your photos. Note it is serrated or erose with long narrow thinning strike and shallow thinning on other side...

They can also have very slight ears at the base, which the Mid Atlantic type usually does. Believe it or not, this may be a resharpened example of such a point, where resharpening ends up with a steeple shape blade and base always wider then blade...

I could be wrong there; you might never know we are dealing with the same points. But in the case of the small quartzite example I show here, one ear is broke good, so it would have a wider hafting area then is quite so apparent now, with a resharpened steeple shape blade. At any rate, not sure where your triangle falls, but that's thinning, not flutes. Also, water wear can make it a tough call, but you may be right and part of the problem is there are other triangles Archaic in age, just a tough call. I have many candidates, but Jeff passed away before he could weigh in. At any rate, there is actually a ratio formula for basal concavity in all these triangles which I have, unpublished pages Jeff sent me, and I'll check it out for you some day. Not sure on the other point, still leaning Orient variant, but I will never be the last word. You do need more recent local guides which I'll send to you over time.

BTW, Jay, I know grinding is not specified as present for Squibs, but most of my Squib-like triangles are ground!. So again, triangles seem to be the murkiest types of all at times.  Here is another greatly resharpened quartzite triangle with a depth of concavity way outside the stated range for Squibs. Somewhat erose, might be an early triangle in this vein...

Rhode Island

Comment

charlie your the best! i always learn alot from you.thanks for taking the time for me. you have some really great examples!your right too, i do need more local books,i owe it to my points ! i try to piece my info together from as many sources as i can find.typology is hard in the first place, waterworn points even more so! but i always(sometimes ) listen to my elders! and theres not much im gonna come across that you already havent! so i trust your advice.thanks so much for the help!

Comment

just for referance for those who havent seen my older post on this point,it was found while standing in the middle of a river about

this deep, in fact this is the spot and i had just found the point like a day or two before.i was digging down about a foot or so in the gravel and after the silt clear'd it was sittin right in the middle of the hole.(this is a great bottle/marbles/clay pipe spot as well)

Comment

alright,heres another questionable one, i dont call it anything for certain,but i think its up there in age too.found very close to a known and recorded site. badly broken but enough of the important stuff is still there i think to see what it coulda been.first the in-situ,then what i think it would look like restored.theres no traces of any flutes but the basel area is definatly ground between where the ears are.

Attached files 

Comment

in hand it looks like this you can get a good idea

and the big breaks

Comment

Working...
                        X