No announcement yet.

Hafted end scrapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an question, are unifacial scrapers thought to be from a specific archeological period or are they throughout all of them?
    Anderson County, Tennessee

Comment

Unifaced and context would say paleo.
    Ill be taking pics of what I know to be paleo tools I have found and post soon.

Comment

I ordered a photo box to take better pics ,until then these much resemble those found else where.
      The center is Paleo and the L+R of that are Archaic blades. Note heat treated.
      Would these be considered scrapers? Sure , why not. With the flat end on all 3 , its possible it
      would perform well at both cutting and scraping if hafted.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Reflector; 01-07-2024, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Two farms I walk here in the UK have unifacial scrapers made either from crested blades or from larger flakes. The sites are Meso - EBA suggesting that unifacial alone doesn't have a fixed time period

Comment

Agreed! Curious still is the hafted opposed to hand held. Here are two from paleo context that are the
          same but different. With one being narrowed almost waisted for hafting and mounting flat spot the other snub nose
          working area on both ends. Both uni-faced.
          Attached Files

Comment

These are probably Neolithic and I think both are hafted although they are large enough to hold. The difference I find in these types is one has a flat central dorsal flake scar whereas the other (dark flint) has a central arris on the dorsal. I'm wondering whether that ridge would stop lateral movement when hafted?
            Attached Files

Comment

This is the only hafted scraper I have found. It's biface and made from Rhyolite. Found on a gravel bar in Washington County, Missouri in 2023. I have no idea how old it is.

Comment

Nice. I`d guess my hafted scraper tally per arrowhead is 20 for every 1000.
                Yours is middle archaic more than likely.
                Paleo and early archaic have more hafted and regular uni faced scrapers than other time periods
                because of the specific work it does.
                This is one of my favorites. HEAVY patina. Steep bevel.
                Not hafted ..but still.
                Attached Files

Comment

Reflector - with that little nick out of the edge I'm surprised you didn't throw it away : )
                  Just kidding - that is a very special piece - great find.

Comment

This one has a thinning flute kinda cool.
                    Utah

Comment

This one has a thinning flute kinda cool. sorry about the pics. I'm not a photographer..
                      Utah

Comment

Working...
                      X