No announcement yet.

Post Something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the closest thing to a whole gorget I've ever found. Stained but is made from pink slate. I thought I had lost it one time at a show but found it recently. N GA Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200215_095823.jpeg
Views:	444
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	424107
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Here are a few of my favorites. Not G10s but the three points are completely translucent with a memorable story behind them. I found all of these just a few weeks apart (back when I used to be able to find stuff). The North/maybe preform was the find that kept me coming back, almost quit looking before I found it. The Adena dickson was found with lightning flashing, sunset in the west and an owl ten feet up in a tree hooting at me. The tiny bird point was found in the leaves and other people standing right next to it. Lastly the small celt was found on a game trail, just lying there as dog walkers passed it by.
      Central Ohio

Comment

Let's see a better pic of the celt that's a cool story how so many just walk past it like just another rock laying there. Makes me laugh. Once I saw some guys swinging their MD in the creek. Guy says I didn't find a thing. I said well are you done looking? He said yes have at it. I reached down and in between his feet I picked up a beautiful worked black flint knife and said well thank you.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll get some on here in a little awhile. Super thin/sharp bit. Suprised it isn't chipped up.

First Pitted hammer stone I found in Tennessee. I found in site L1. I believe that you can tell what the dominant hand was that the NA used based on where the pits are and also the wear on the stone. I believe this one is left handed. If it were right handed there would have been more wear on the larger thumb side which there’s not. Not sure if there is a common size ratio between pits on either side in other areas where these are found but there is a distinct size difference on every specimen that I have found . The thumb hole is the largest the middle finger is the smallest hole/pit . This one has a nice smooth area for the pointer finger not sure if that is from lots of use or is coincidental. I’m a lefty naturally and it fits my hand perfectly and the pattern of wear would be identical if I used it for percussion flaking. Thought I would share what I’ve learned from the ones I’ve found . I’ve noticed that they say that these were used for nutting stones and there are hickory , acorn and black walnuts around here but I’m not seeing that Based upon the wear so far in the specimens I’ve found. I did find what I’m thinking was a nutting slab with a hole in it but have yet to retrieve it.
        Last edited by SGT.Digger; 02-15-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice divot stone. I have a few but most had been used a lot

Small mortar and pestle and mini , found these on my 10th birthday only time i ever found a pair together there is a hole on the bottom of the mortar where it was ground with the pestle about half as deep as the top , the small mini pestle was found in a pea gravel bar looking for bird points. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6952.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	424173 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6957.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	424174 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6956.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	424175
        Wyoming

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I like them wish I could find a mortar

Here is a small point I found before I joined the forum, and never posted. This was laying right underneath a tree along the river with an osprey nest above. Osprey baby was watching me the entire time. Since then, I love seeing ospreys and consider them lucky! I haven't been able to type this one, any help appreciated. Chatham County NC. Our typical green rhyolite. Has a nice needle tip.
        Central North Carolina

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Halifax maybe? That's just about as perfect as they come anymore

If this can go on for about another week maybe I will be able to get out and find something by then. Creeks are still way up so far.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Who doesn't like gift frames? When I first started looking I was finding lots of pottery pieces and a person in Kentucky was finding Archaic and Paleo but no pottery so we made a trade. She really liked the sherds but I think I got the better end of the trade. Idk whatever happened to her I haven't seen her post in a long time. Kentucky personal finds by a friend. Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200215_095626.jpeg
Views:	418
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	424220
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• PointHound
            PointHound commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a good trade. I really like that sweet little drill.

• KyChipStone
            KyChipStone commented
            Editing a comment
            SH, have you typed those points? Looks like a couple big sandy types and a couple Chesser points but the one on the far right , I’m really not sure on that one. Just curious ..Thanks

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I knew the big Sandy's but not the others. I saw the far right did look different by the base I'm sure those are thinning flakes cause I've never seen a Paleo point look like that. I put the frame together 7 years ago and haven't opened it since.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0603.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	424230

Part of my collection.

Name:	DSC_0119.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	424231

Civil War bullet from my front yard.

Name:	DSC_0612.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	424232

Flower from my backyard.

Name:	scane0001.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	424233 Click image for larger version

Name:	scanes0001.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	424234

Two crappy sketches.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• PointHound
            PointHound commented
            Editing a comment
            Killer display Kentucky!

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. Your artistry and knowledge are wide. KP, you are a polymath. I can only imagine what you’ll know and do as you grow older. (Remember, when much is given, much is expected...)

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Self taught historian is what I like to call myself. Self made, bit by bit.

Name:	20200202_120356.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	424241 Walked a field with a buddy of mine in eastern NC two weeks ago. They graded the field and one side had rivulets from a rain storm. Found one of my better hafted drills! Click image for larger version

Name:	20200202_120354.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	424242 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200202_155703.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	424243 and a sweet razor thin ground palmer!! And a decent morrow mtn.
          North Carolina

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice finds so what was the white quartz piece?

• utilized flake
            utilized flake commented
            Editing a comment
            Debitage surface hunter...big flakes and pieces everywhere!

Went to visit some great friends in Ohio this week. Got home late last night and got up this morning and took a three hour stroll and was very productive!!!

Comment

• flintguy
            flintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            You found all that in three hours? That's about as good as my whole collection, three years worth.

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow that's a bunch of good finds. I would of never left.

• georgiafieldwalker
            georgiafieldwalker commented
            Editing a comment
            Good stuff Cotton!

I’m about like a herd of turtles getting anything done SH... Here are a few, some have been shown, most have not.. Click image for larger version

Name:	B7419757-D1B3-498A-87DB-B392D10CE309.jpeg
Views:	405
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	424264 Click image for larger version

Name:	2BAEC145-4D98-46E5-BB1D-4AD46B91792C.jpeg
Views:	446
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	424265 Click image for larger version

Name:	C7C909BB-2AE4-4146-AFFE-07BD51E5D678.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	424266
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Prolly won’t make sense to y’all but I love to find the arrowheads the most. And, I love anyone’s and everyone’s true arrowheads !

• south fork
            south fork commented
            Editing a comment
            Great collection of points . So all Texas finds ?

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Editing a comment
            Yes, all Tx. Panhandle

Dang jj I'm glad you shared some of your finds. Really digging them small points, very good.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Editing a comment
            The birds are my babies SH, got lots and lots more. Most of my collection consists of archaic points. Then a lesser amount being true arrows, with the least amount being paleo. I thought I was going to get out for a hunt today. Seems like family has designs on my Sunday. I might slip away if I can get everyone happy....

Here are some broken paleos. Not personal finds, but I enjoy paleo and broken pieces are interesting and affordable.

I think this is a late Clovis/Gainey point, I was thinking Folsom at first based on the edge work, but it's large and relatively thick.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	424289

Name:	
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	424290

Name:	
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	424291

Wilson County Sandpit, TX.

Name:	
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	424292

Cody/Scottsbluff bases. The Chalcedony one is from Colorado and would have world class if whole. The other piece is Texas.

Name:	
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	424293

Name:	
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	424294

Cumberlands from Ohio.

Name:	
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	424295

Last edited by clovisoid; 02-16-2020, 12:40 AM.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• paohrocks
            paohrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Eye candy

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            I love broken paleos

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Editing a comment
            You’ve been hiding history! The Wilson sand pit is legendary !

Here is a 300 million year old coral fossil Click image for larger version

Name:	0626181412-1.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	424297 Click image for larger version

Name:	0626181412a-1.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	424298
          Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Working...
          X