No announcement yet.

Indian point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The blade is really cool! See if you can find examples of artifacts from your area online and keep an eye out for the materials and colors of those artifacts next time you go hunting. Once you learn the common materials of your area it becomes much easier to spot artifacts among natural rocks
    NC

Comment

I found this in Lake Superior near the shore, any idea what it is? It was in the general area where I found the blade. It looks like a grinding or pounding stone. Its worn and pecked to fit perfectly in the hand and the end looks chipped or worn from use.
      Attached Files

Comment

Its a rock...naturally shaped by weathering and erosion. Keep looking for sharp stuff when you hunt, it will be tough at first especially when you aren't used to seeing work on material. Keep your eye out for sharp rocks, if you keep picking up stones that are smooth and fit in your hand then you'll walk right by actual artifacts. I'm not trying to be blunt or anything, but if you find something to post, make it in a new thread and you'll get more responses! Good luck!
        North Carolina

Comment

Looks like a stone bird effigy. You can see where it has been chipped to shape it. The rocks and artifacts in Lake Superior do not stay sharp unless they are broken during high waves. The majority of rocks and any old Indian artifacts are worn smooth from the rough waves that occur in the lake. The blade I found was at the waters edge and may have been buried there for a long time. I found it after a big storm with strong waves and wind which causes beach erosion. I’ve found many interesting things after a storm and we have a couple of very old shipwrecks on the waters edge in our area.
          Attached Files

Comment

4 Indian effigies? I pictured one previously that looks like a bird or some animal and now one that may be a bird, one a frog and the small one a fish where you can see the actual chipped mouth and eye. Any ideas?
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey, New. I’m Cecilia from Ga, and gotta tell you your very first post of the knife from Lake Superior shore turned this sorta “newaccount” lil’ green with envy! And BTW, I lived on that very shore when I was 13.

Your name qualifies you perfectly to enjoy great, funny, permanently posted “Helpful Glossary for Newbies” under Off-The-Wall part of forum. Laugh out loud when you’re reading it! Keep open mind and sense of humor; I wish it had been required reading (for me) before first signing in!

I agree one of your finds looks close to one of mine, only I don’t see frog or bird; I see a Giant Sloth! But mine’s just a great rock....

Click image for larger version  Name:	AB98A985-8475-4C8F-A84C-E126F5740CB1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	482476 Click image for larger version  Name:	445740E4-82AB-4E9A-9AA1-3E9AA4E34572.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	482477
              Last edited by Cecilia; 08-29-2020, 05:40 PM.
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Latest finds on the beach and in the water.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Post new thread. People will look and respond faster. (P.s. love the ones with holes; whole, ancient lore found in many cultures under term “hag stones.” LinnyMan taught me about those.)

Found this what looks to be an old rock hand held axe chopper. It’s been pecked on the sides and at the end to make a sharper due.
                Attached Files

Comment

Correction, a sharper edge.

Comment

Hi New. Glad you joined this site. Great people here! Now bare with me, Nature does some crazy things with rocks. Especially water erosion. I have a great collection of these Geofacts. I too carry home interesting stones. Now I could be wrong, But I'm going to stick my neck out and tell you you have mostly Geofacts. Now please don't shoot me for my opinion. In my lifetime I have looked at a million artifacts. It's sometimes hard to tell someone very interested in collecting Artifacts that they have Geofacts. On the other hand I won't argue with others or your opinion. The peck marks you see is just mini holes caused by erosion. Kim
                    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Any ideas what these smaller rocks are, they have all been notched. The larger one shows pecking marks and the other one looks like it may be a piece of Indian art. Any ideas on these?
                      Attached Files

Comment

I saw this bent tree near the lake where I found the point. Could it be an Indian bent tree marker?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi newa.- I also agree with the others on the flaking and age. Nice old blade. I believe the rest are rocks. Yah strange looking, but just the same, rocks. Kim

Comment

Originally posted by newaccount2020 View Post
                            I saw this bent tree near the lake where I found the point. Could it be an Indian bent tree marker?
                            Indian bent tree? probably not. The trunk doesn't look that old, were talking 400 or 500 years old. Winter ice does the same thing in my experience. Keep lookin, keep asking, we'll help. Kim

Comment

Primitive Indian hand carved wooden bowl?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X